1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

An excel query sub levels

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by Davedup, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Hi folks, using excel to analyse some data untill we get Sims assessmnet module online (small special school). I want to calculate whole level progress from assessment data and therefore need to ignore the sublevel. For example if a pupil was a 2B on entry and acheived a level 3 at the end of KS3, progress data tells us they have made 1 level of progress. I have a load of data all of it sublevels (A,B or C) can I get excel to ignore the letters and just use the numbers in a formula? If I just use a normal formula I get the error.

Cheers
    Dave

2. You can use a look-up table to automatically change 2b to 15 points etc. I have also sent you a message.

3. Senior management has told me that a simple Replace (i.e. 2b to 2 etc) might be easier!

4. steve_cooke

steve_cooke New commenter

Use the the LEFT function. For example =LEFT(A1,1) would return 2 if A1 contained 2b.
    On it's own that works fine in my version of excel but if you get problems you might need to use =VALUE(LEFT(A1,1)) which reinforces with excel that it is the number 2 that you require.

5. School Boy Error

School Boy Error Occasional commenter

You could use the formula =Left(cell,how many characters) so you could type =left(a1,1). If you had 2b in cell A1 it would return just the two so then you can perform any calculation you want from there. Is that what you were asking or have I missed the point?