1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

An end to ‘job snobbery’ please.....

Discussion in 'Personal' started by scienceteachasghost, Mar 27, 2020.

1. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

While I would like to think not all teachers are like this, having been one and worked with teachers, there are undoubtedly those (and not just some teachers) that trot out ‘get good qualifications or you’ll be stacking shelves?’

Well guess what, shelf stackers are now key workers and the ones helping to feed people who, it turns out, have jobs that are not actually ‘essential’ during a global pandemic.

I hope that this global emergency will have the silver lining of people respecting others that work in jobs that the ‘job snobs’ may look down on.

2. maggie m

maggie m Senior commenter

When I was at school in 1970's, the head would periodically rant about getting good O levels or ending up working on the market. Given most of the market traders drove better cars than he did we always considered this a strange threat.

3. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

We have always said the country grinds to a halt without low paid workers. The shelf stacker, cleaners, drivers etc are keeping us going.

pepper5, phlogiston, Nuuk and 5 others like this.
  4. install

install Star commenter

Job snobbery ended ages ago imho. There are lots of builders, electricians, plumbers and window cleaners who have done very well for themselves. Society has seen teachers as child minders for quite some time anyway- and that is their view.

Perhaps we should all be paid the same? I do know of teachers who do shelf stacking to help them get by. A shelf stacker gets paid per actual hr at least.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    pepper5, phlogiston, Nuuk and 5 others like this.
  5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Having done all sorts of jobs in my life (including stacking shelves actually) I've never been a "job snob"

oldsomeman, pepper5, Nuuk and 9 others like this.
  6. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

I am hoping that as people start working on farms they will see it as enjoyable, and many will take to it and continue, rather than dismissing it as beneath them.

pepper5, Nuuk, Jamvic and 3 others like this.
  7. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

Teaching as always been a 'nobby clerk' job, in some ways, in which the 'foreman' was paid little better than the workers under him. In the early Seventies (pre-Burnham) you were better off working in the 'Mars' factory in Slough, as a supervisor, which, as far as i know, you needed no qualifications, than being a teacher!!

slugtrial, pepper5, catmother and 6 others like this.
  8. agathamorse

agathamorse Senior commenter

Been a cleaner, a barmaid, a waitress and done tonnes of office temp work in my time. No job snobbery here.

pepper5, lardylady, Nuuk and 3 others like this.
  9. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

Long ago, when I worked in manufacturing, it was obvious that the MD could go missing for weeks and not be missed, if the labourer failed to turn up for his shift a replacement was needed immediately.

10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I was a waiter at Butlins grand Hotel in Scarborough.

pepper5, Nuuk and agathamorse like this.
  11. Jolly_Roger15

When I was doing my A levels, I had a Saturday job working in a motorcycle repair shop. Heaven!

pepper5, abwdSTEM, Nuuk and 1 other person like this.
  12. agathamorse

When I was doing my A levels I worked at McDonald's. I enjoyed it, especially as they'd offer increased hours in the holidays.

pepper5, install and Nuuk like this.
  13. Nuuk

Nuuk Occasional commenter

Agreed!

Many years ago I worked in a factory during holidays and lost count of the number of bus conductors (said it was a long time ago), who, after seeing me in my overall and talking to me while selling me a ticket said things like, 'I'd have thought you could get a job in the offices'. At the time it seemed an odd thing for them to say, weren't we all working class and on reflection even odder now.

pepper5 and agathamorse like this.
  14. Jolly_Roger15

The best temp job I ever had was working weekends and some holidays in this small motorcycle shop, while I was in the 6th. form . It was only a small shop, run by an old chap. He only did small bikes, like mopeds and step-thru Hondas but did MOTs up to 200cc. Saturdays were always busy with MOTs, as he had a reputation for not being 'too fussy'. He would tell me to take a bike 'around the block' to 'see if it's alright'; if I said it was, he would write out the certificate. If he knew the owner, he would just look at the bike through the window, and 'pass' it!

He dealt with the Hondas, as very little ever goes wrong with them, and he knew them inside out. I tended to get stuck with the dirtier jobs, like decoking two-stroke mopeds. My mother was not impressed by what caustic soda did to my trousers. The most tedious job was putting all the bikes out of the shop into the yard, at opening time, and putting them all back in at closing time. There was so little space in the shop that this had to be done just right, otherwise all the bikes would not fit in. Doing this could take nearly an hour.

15. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Years ago (this was when working in HE) one of my colleagues was complaining about how overworked and oppressed we were. We were good friends so I could be frank with her.
    Come off it, I told her. Yes, it can be stressful sometimes and yes, we don't feel like we get enough love but we get lots of perks and we're quite well paid and most people would not even recognise what we do as "hard work".
    Building this place was hard work. Cleaning this place is hard work. I've had all those kinds of jobs and believe me, by comparison, what we do is not that hard.

16. agathamorse

The hardest job I did was as an office cleaner. Such huge offices and toilets to clean on my own in under two hours. Did it as a first year student. Work started at 6am and we had to be outside the building by 8am. We had to do a floor each. It was hard work. For years afterwards I couldn't stand the smell of Jif now Cif, which is what we used to clean the toilets.

nomad, pepper5, install and 1 other person like this.
  17. Jolly_Roger15

@Nuuk: You could get much better wages doing a holiday job in a factory, than in an office. Working at the Mars factory, in Slough, doing shifts you could get £40-45 gross (1973-4). I wrote off to the Gas Board for a summer job, and i was offered a desk job in the admin office for half that. One of the best factory jobs going then was at the Bell Punch works, in Uxbridge. These were much sought after for summer jobs, and you had to 'know someone' already working there to get you in, which I did not.

18. agathamorse

As a waitress at Pizza Express in 1987, a summer job after I'd finished my O levels, I earned £60 a week plus another £30 a week in tips. My husband was a trainee accountant at this time and he earned just under £60 a week.

nomad, pepper5, install and 1 other person like this.
  19. Jolly_Roger15

My wife and i met when we were both NQTs (or LFAs as ILEA called us) at the same school, in 1978. She did not go back into teaching after having our daughter (shrewd woman!) but on the suggestion of one of her cousins, went to work for the then Hillingdon Area Health Authority (HAHA!) in hospital management. After starting off near the bottom, by the early Nineties she was earning slightly more than me, and continued to so. Her job went pair shaped and stressful when hospital trusts came in, as did teaching with the advent of academies.

20. abwdSTEM

abwdSTEM Occasional commenter

One deputy Head of Science I worked with always looked down on the school technicians thinking of them as little more then dishwashers. If she had bothered to talk to them she would have found their science qualifications were equal to or better then hers.

Meanwhile the technicians thought that she was a pretty incompetent chemist and wouldn't trust her calculations.

As someone who had worked as an industrial chemist before teaching I could see that the technicians were right.

pepper5 and agathamorse like this.