1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

An 18 year old in Europe

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon4046, Jan 18, 2011.

  1. Always to keep his mobile phone charged.

    Travel insurance.

    Tracking device?

  2. Work? What makes him think that Europe is a gaping maw of jobs for the terminally young, inexperienced and transitory? They've got plenty of immigrants (and much less welfare) to deal with their cheap labour requirements, thanks.
    He's kidding himself if he thinks they want UK kids, with probably the least enticing employment reputation in the developed world, waiting at table or washing up, so my practical, sensible advice would be that he saves a real shitload of money before he goes because he is probably going to need it.
  3. Can you suggest a travel insurance company that covers this kind of thing?
  4. No, sorry. was just thinking of general travel insurance (leaflets can be acquired at his local post office)
  5. Ok, thanks anyway
  6. For work, his best bet is
    a) get himself a PROPER TEFL/CELTA qualification before he leaves (and it costs money) and a list of reputable language schools in the larger cities (such as Berlitz, Inligua, etc.).
    b) make sure wherever he is, he finds out where the Irish pubs are - you can normally get some work as bar staff there (not well paid)
    c) or apply to work at McDonalds (not well paid)

  7. condoms

    Can not post links but stick Gap Year Insurance into Google

    I agree with Lilyofthefield that he should take enough to survive on

    Join the International YHA for cheap accommodation
  8. Does he speak any languages? Even McDonalds probably requires the ability to understand a customer order.
  9. BigMac, Cheeseburger, Chicken McNuggets, McFlurry, Cola, Shake.
    He'd need to understand the numbers, though.
    However, I am not sure the lass who served me my McMuffin recently (my once a year treat to myself) understood much at all...
  10. jazz2

    jazz2 New commenter

    Maybe he should apply for the position being offered by firstfiddle's friend ...?
  11. Thank you!
  12. No transport - can't drive..can't see him in nice little French village somehow...nice idea though. I'd like to do it.
  13. http://www.statravel.co.uk/
    This is the place to look for what sounds like a Gap Year experience. It will give him ideas of where to go, how to get there, help with insurance etc. The best thing for your son to do is to go to one of their shops, you can find one close to you on the website.
    Good luck to the happy traveller!
  14. magic surf bus

    magic surf bus Star commenter

    Speaking the language(s) beyond GCSE grade C level will come in very handy.

    A Santander Zero credit card or equivalent? No currency exchange fees. Either that or a European bank account, or possibly an Irish bank account that accepts Euro payments and withdrawals without fees.

    Some sort of roving laptop dongle or a very good idea of where to find free wifi. There are maps online.

    A dirt cheap local mobile phone so he's not making local calls via his UK network. In France you need proof of ID (copy of passport) to register one.

    Possible job - a courier for a company like Eurocamp. Seasonal, but you spend most of your day on a campsite answering queries from whining Brits. My personal idea of Hell, but it works for some.
  15. landaise

    landaise Occasional commenter

    From April, there are seasonal jobs all over France, but he will need insurance (civil responsibility) and a social security number as well as health cover. Mobile phones here require proof of ID AND address, hardly anyone uses PAYG as it's a rip-off ( credit expires fairly quickly )
    He would need back-up money as obviously you have to live for the first month before you're paid. As others have said, you cannot really get by adequately on GCSE level language as it simply doesn't teach you how to deal with administrative problems ( lots of red tape when trying to find work, accommodation )
    Probably better to think of a longer, cheap holiday but working his way round Europe seems to be a bit ambitious )
  16. blazer

    blazer Star commenter

    Don't forget that 'travel insurance' is usually for holidays not for people living in a country and (hopefully) working so read the small print. Make sure he has his EHIC card which will entitle him the basic free medical care in EU countries.
  17. landaise

    landaise Occasional commenter

    If he needs to see a doctor in France, it won't be ' free ' : he'll have to pay then claim it back when back in Britain ( 23€ for a consultation, medicines will have to be paid for too )
    We pay to see the doctor, why wouldn't tourists ?
  18. blazer

    blazer Star commenter

    The Eurocamp/canvas holiday rep thing is a good idea however my experience of them is that they are actually very well qualified, speak the local language well and competition for jobs is high. On the plus side they throw in accomodation. Another avenue may be the River cruise boats, they employ lots of casual staff, you get to travel around the Continent and again they supply a bed.
  19. landaise

    landaise Occasional commenter

    Quite, this is a good solution for university language students, but not for someone who doesn't speak the language of the country you're in. There are French tourists within France, you know, not just Brits....

Share This Page