1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

amusing yourself

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lurk_much, May 31, 2011.

1. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

I regularly say to one of the cats -
    "Don't lick all the jelly off, you will spoil it for everybody else."
    The absurdity of talking to the cat and expecting it to understand and accept an argument based on altruism and the ludicrousness of cat food being even edible in any state always amuses me.
    And the idea that 'anybody' applies to cats also catches an ironic bone.
    Do other people have such mantras?

2. No... not mantras as such...but I do regularly talk to the dog. Don't know if you've seen "Killer Cat v's Wee Scabby Dug" on Entertainment.... but my dug is the wee scabby one, and if one of the cats has just duffed him up, I'm afraid I'll say things like "Oh, dear Scabs.... the cats are laughing at you!" ..... Am considering changing my user name to Annie's_Lost_The_Plot..... [​IMG]

3. At least the cats and dogs are animals!
    I talked to my bathroom plants this morning....asked if they were thirsty and wanted a nice drink of water!
    And I have been known to talk to food! ' oh you look tasty...now which onion shall I chop up to go with you...this one?...would you like me to cook you with this onion?'.....and I 'encourage' my stews/soups too 'come on then...come to the boil...make a nice tasty dinner for beth...there you go...shall I give you one last stir before I go!'
    Talking to pets is perfectly sane!
    (In my defence, I am elective mute...I don't talk to people much - and don't own a pet [yet!} ....so talking to plants/food is my main conversation!)

4. Thank God, Bethannie! I also talk to my plants! I say "Oh, I am SO sorry! I haven't watered you for days now... " Ok....If a new user turns up called Annie's_Lost_The_Plot.... it WILL be me! [​IMG]

5. I quite often apologise to appliances and furniture when I bump into them.
    I talk to the cats constantly. Milliecat talks back by meowing at appropriate pauses in conversation. Bathtime is when we really chew the fat.

6. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

Annie didn't tell you that she also has a user name FOR her <strike>dog </strike>dug to communicate through.
    I think most sane people talk to animals and plants. It's when you think THEY <u>are</u> the one's answering that insanity creeps in.

7. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

There must surely be many of us who thank the ATM when we withdraw cash...

8. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

I always thank the atm.
    Good manners cost nothing
    or &pound;20 or &pound;40 or &pound;60 or &pound;100 or &pound;200 or &pound;other

9. I talk to our fish when I'm feeding him.

I talk to the teddies/soft toys and that doesn't include the bedtime routine voices I have to do every evening.

I talk to myself...

I might make the occasional comment at the garden plants if they are dying

Def talk to the self checkout when it tells me to scan the item (I'm trying) or to put the item in the bag (it is and I can't help it if it doesn't weigh enough to register grrr

10. I sing to my cats. They like that.

11. I too converse with self-service checkouts. Our conversation goes something like this:
    Checkout: There is an unknown item in the bagging area.
    Me: Oh f*** off.
    Short and sweet.

12. I talk to my plants.
    I also talk to my food as I am cooking it.
    And I often talk to myself, I find that much more sensible, sometimes.
    I have also often been witnessed shouting at an Excel file.