1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Amsterdam

Discussion in 'Personal' started by bex2606, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Hi
    We are going to Amsterdam this weekend. Has anybody been at this time of year? Any ideas of what I should take in terms of clothes?
    While we're on the subject, any 'must see' places?

Thanks for the ideas in advance.
    B

2. Hi
    We are going to Amsterdam this weekend. Has anybody been at this time of year? Any ideas of what I should take in terms of clothes?
    While we're on the subject, any 'must see' places?

Thanks for the ideas in advance.
    B

3. Look at the weather forecast. I'd go see some art and the flower market.

4. the grasshopper, the bull dog....... etc :)

you mustnt miss the canal boat ride where they talk all about the gables - see how many times they mention it - particularly amusing following a visit to one of the above :)

5. tp567

tp567 New commenter

6. not actually a lot to see in Ann Franks but it is kinda a 'must do'

7. Anne Frank's house is AMAZING! Don't miss it! The queue gets long so either go early or go later in the day. The Van Gogh museum is very good too. Lots of very good places to eat. Canal trip a must. Weather is usually warm this time of year, but pack a rain coat just in case!

8. Earl Davids wife

Earl Davids wife New commenter

Don't like Amsterdam - it's a small, scruffy place though I love Holland in general - well away from the cities that is. It's usually as warm and warmer than it is down south in England. Be prepared for rain just as you would here and pack for summer with a warm fleece or top to be on the safe side. Much like here really ........

9. DM

DM New commenter

If you buy the ticket for the Anne Frank House online in advance, you just walk straight in and do not have to queue.
    The Heineken Brewery is good for a couple of hours.
    Get a train to The Hague and go to the Escher Museum.

10. I love Amsterdam.I 've been five times now and can't wait for the next. The Rijksmuseum is wonderful - all those artists and paintings from the 'Golden Age'. If the Concertgebouw is playing you can try to get tickets - if not, you can often find lunchtime concerts in one of the various churches;; try just wandering down little side streets - you won't get lost for long - and you can see some real gems in the way of houses.
    I suppose everyone should see the red light district once - undoubtedly seedy but fascinating in its way.

11. 576

576 Occasional commenter

Take a short train ride to Haarlem which is a lovely little town & visit the Corrie Ten Boom house. If you don't know the story see the website below.
    Basically a Christian family who hid Jews from the Nazis - it is unbelievable how small the 'hiding place' is!
    Well worth a visit - much less crowded than Anne Frank's house & Haarlem itself is a treat.
    http://www.corrietenboom.com/

12. Kind of missing the point. The Anne Frank House is amazing and considering what she and the other occupants endured, what's a little queuing?

OP :
    The Van Gogh Museum is great and a real tribute to the artist and his work. I'm not a VG fan but it opened my eyes: who'd have thunk there were so many sunflower versions?!
    As for Amsterdam being "scruffy", that's sooooooooo not the case. It's charming and bewitching. At night, loved the way the lights from the uncurtained windows twinkled in the water of the canals below .
    We went in October. The weather was good and the colours spectacular.
    You'll love it.

13. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

Whilst Haarlem is indeed a lovely town (and its railway station is very interesting) I agree with sea_pink (and I know Amsterdam as well as the city I live in at home).
    I recommend the Amsterdams Historisch Museum: have a look at the mock up of the Cafe 't Mandje on the top floor: reckoned to be Amsterdam's first gay bar and one of the first in the world.

The Jewish Museum is worth a visit too.
    Do look at my favourite restaurant: the Van Kerkwijk (on Nes, a little backstreet just off Dam Square). There is no menu - the owner will recite what they have that day: "I am the menu", she says, and their food is just divine.

14. ilovesooty

And if you like different beers track down In De Wildeman (closed Sundays) and the Gollem (opens about 4pm usually).

15. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

The Willet-Holthuysen house museum is very interesting if you like that kind of thing (a 200 hundred year old house with original furrnishings) the guide will tell you the fascinating back story to the lives of the people who lived there.
    Take a train journey to Aalkmar - lovely small town with a historic cheese market. Also Hoorn or Den Helder.

16. ilovesooty

Alkmaar is lovely and has the best ice cream shop in the Netherlands but it's a fair distance and the best day for it is Friday - market day. It has a lovely brewery museum too.

If you're going to travel (on a Saturday) you might as well go to Delft or Rotterdam - not worth it if you're only there for the weekend though.

17. anteater

anteater New commenter

The Rembrandt house is very interesting, and they demonstrate how etchings were made.
    Watch out for the bicycles, especially at dusk - nearly got flattened several times!
    There's also a cannabis museum...

18. And if you like different beers track down In De Wildeman (closed Sunday)
    My favourite bar! There is a fabulous gin bar too....I'll look at a map and see if I can remember where it is.

19. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

and a sex museum! [​IMG]

20. Earl Davids wife

Earl Davids wife New commenter

Sorry - still think it's scruffy. Been there twice now - many years apart - and won't go again. Prefer rural Holland.