1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Amount of evidence for new core standards

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by KatiW, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Are we still waiting for the govt to announce this?
    I have searched all over education.gov.uk and there is nothing there but the pdf of the new standards.
    The previous standards there were 41 and over three terms you had to collect 2 pieces of evidence for each ( I completed one term of the old standards) - the new standards are far more generic and I think I will be using the bullet points as the standards evidence as such. But what is the amount of evidence required (if any!) - or is that up to each individual school?
    It all seems a bit flakey at the moment.

2. Are we still waiting for the govt to announce this?
    I have searched all over education.gov.uk and there is nothing there but the pdf of the new standards.
    The previous standards there were 41 and over three terms you had to collect 2 pieces of evidence for each ( I completed one term of the old standards) - the new standards are far more generic and I think I will be using the bullet points as the standards evidence as such. But what is the amount of evidence required (if any!) - or is that up to each individual school?
    It all seems a bit flakey at the moment.

3. I've got a document from my LA which matches the 'old' standards to the 'new' ones. I could send it to you as I can't work out how to attach it as a file!

4. veni_vidi

veni_vidi New commenter

My school have told me not to bother collecting evidence, or making a folder. The mentors are old school and believe in professional judgement and results, rather than a folder.
    However my PGCE habits die hard, and so i have a sneaky folder that no one sees with things like my observation reports, meeting notes, training...just in case.

5. I have created a folder too, just in case!
    At least having hard evidence will back up any '...and what have you shown for....?' type questions over the induction period.
    I get the keys to my department and classroom tomorrow when I scoot across after we finish here where I did my training.
    Exciting times ahead! [​IMG]

6. I'm starting my NQT year in September and I've been told to keep a record of everything, observation notes, lesson plans, resources, etc. just in case, as my mentor isn't sure exactly what's required now either! But I do get the impression that it's not quite the paper trail that is the PGCE :)

7. I have one term left to complete and I was told not to bother collecting evidence as it all should come from your day to day teaching. However, old habits die hard and I collected two pieces for each standard anyway, just in case!

Like you, I'm not sure how the new ones will map out, I have downloaded them but they are quite general and are all bunched under a number.

Would love a copy of how the old standards map to the new ones if the poster is willing to share.

Cheers
    Jaime

8. Try this
    http://www.suffolklearning.co.uk/do_download.asp?did=3241
    Hope it helps :)

9. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

There are subtle differences in the new arrangements.The new DfE terlmy assessments emphasise the action planning and identification of strengths and areas for development or concerns. In addition it asks for evidence against each of the standards. Over the years there has been a lot of debate about the "best methods" for NQT induction and whether or not there should be evidence files and tracking sheets. It is a local decision .Fundamentally you will need to discuss with your mentor where you are/are not meeting standards ,so follow what advice your school and mentor give. A lot of the evidence willl be readily obtained via the detritus of teaching , lesson plans, obs, etc.

10. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

That was never a requirement of the old scheme. It never required any collection of evidence at all.
    Some local authorities had their own rules - but those were never part of the overall scheme.

11. MrGator

MrGator New commenter

I just filled in a tracking sheet I'd put together with bullet points - this made it much easier when my mentor was writing up the assessments.
    I've put together a tracker for the incoming Standards for Teachers. PM me if you want a copy and I'll send it over.

Gator

12. MrGator

MrGator New commenter

13. Cool
    Cheers Gator

14. You can find the Core and QTS standards mapped alongside the new Teachers Standards online here:
    http://www.e-portfolios.net/resources.php
    There's also a "Teachers Standards: Sample Evidence" page which is an exhaustive list of suitable evidence against the new Teachers' Standards (2012)
    Direct link here: http://www.e-portfolios.net/teachers_standards.php
    Enjoy!
    Saleem