1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

American looking to teach internationally

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by ljgayter, Sep 20, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Hello! I currently live and teach in the States. It has always been a goal of mine to teach abroad and due to the current political climate and overall sense of doom in the US right now, I thought what better time to start researching!

It seems like a lot of jobs posted on TES are related to the British education system. I'm sure there are a great many differences between the American and British systems. Those who have experience in both, is the British system something an American teacher could jump right into, or will it be severe culture shock?

Also, anyone have insight into what countries will help support teachers with a visa process/resettling into a new country? I would be bringing my husband along and he would most likely continue to work remotely.

Thanks!

2. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Welcome to the board.
    First, please start by changing your name and picture, assuming they are related to your reality. Best to be anonymous here.
    Second, there are many many international schools that are American (though that’s an almost meaningless designation) or IB, so don’t limit yourself to British.
    Try looking Search Associates or International School Services. They cost money but can be well worth it and especially so for someone like yourself who needs a safe start without getting lost in the duplicitous weeds of bottom feeder schools. 95% of the schools there will obtain your visa for you and pay for you relocation. Bringing along a husband is expensive to schools so make sure you have the cv to convince them it’s worth it. And spend oodles if time reading this forum. You’ll learn a lot.

3. LiveToWin

LiveToWin Established commenter

To begin, I would second what gulfgolf says - change your photo and username to maintain anonymity as not everyone has benign intentions. And hello!

I assume you are travelling on a US passport and don't have dual nationality? If this is the case, you may be limited in certain locations as some schools will be unable or unwilling to employ you. For example, schools in mainland Europe may post information saying you must have the right to work in the EU before applying. One way around this could be to work within a big organisation which has schools in multiple countries and then move around within the organisation as opportunities arise. There are several such companies.

There are differences between the British and US systems, of course, as there are between all different syllabuses. However, these are often related more to assessment and course organisation while the actual content can be similar. Being able to teach more than one subject, if you work in Secondary, is helpful, especially if it is in a shortage subject such as Maths or Physics.

There are many American schools throughout the world, they will usually teach the US curriculum alongside another such as the IB. My advice to begin would be to do a broad Google search for American schools in cities/countries where you would like to work to see what is available. Teacher Horizons is a good, free website to use.

Finally, the sense of doom is not restricted to the USA at the moment. Many countries are struggling to cope with the Coronavirus pandemic and movement is obviously restricted. Knock-on effects include longer wait times for visa approval and issue due to staff working remotely, higher costs of self-isolation in hotels when you arrive in a country and flights being changed/cancelled. There's no guarantee that it will be back to normal in time for the next start of the Northern hemisphere school year in September '21, let alone the Southern Hemisphere in January.

Good luck!

4. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Good luck to the OP! I have had some excellent American colleagues over the years. Yes, there are some difference between the curriculum in "British-style" schools and somehow you will have to put up with a different lot of educational jargon from those stuffed shirt Brits. But it can be done!

I have sent you one of those TES Conversation things, ljgayter, and I agree with the previous posters that you should not be using your own photo or your own name. (For some strange reason, Mrs. Hippopotamus does not like me using this photo of the two of us in the bath.)

5. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

All good advice, don't forget TIE, The International Educator a good source of US style jobs as well as Search Associates of course.