1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

American English?

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by LanguageArtsLab, Oct 2, 2015.

1. LanguageArtsLab

LanguageArtsLab New commenter

Are you guys ok with it? What about British teachers and students (pupils!) generally? In Australia it used to be technically acceptable to use either spelling (as long as you were consistent), but convention strongly favours British spelling. *** is a bigger market for me, and I generally make resources for 12 years old and up. I use American spelling by default, and American words (elementary school) and school terms (middle school, grade 6, etc). I still seem to sell on TES, but I wonder if people find American English problematic, or just explain to students that it's "American spelling"?

I'd like your advice please. Do you think it would be worth it to me to face the tedium of translating all my resources into British English???

2. TheGingerTeacher

TheGingerTeacher Established commenter Forum guide and community helper

If it pops up I just explain to the kids that it is an American spelling and that's it really, no one seems to mind.

However, I had a bad rating on *** once because I missed a spelling change to American. So I do try and change it US for there and UK for here.

3. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

I hate American spellings being used in the UK but then I am a grammar nazi who does proof reading and copy-editing as a sideline.

Charleei likes this.
  4. languageisheartosay

languageisheartosay Occasional commenter

Because I address the lower end of Primary, I wasn't worried only by the spelling (which is fairly easy to change by just amending the 'language' on the computer). It's the vocabulary and phrasal usage that is far more problematical - the real language. I just floated 3 little readers for 2nd Grade and got an online acquaintance to read them for me. Things like 'car park' and 'lent' needed changing even though the US reading assessment let them through as words. I know TES gave a link to where you could look for UK vs US usage but there's nothing like a real person for judging.
    (Personally I hate seeing US spelling in texts for UK children - it really jars. And importing things like the 'rainforest understory' is play upsetting!!! You can spell it with an 'e'. Let's do that...)