1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

American curriculum/IB

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by myothername, Feb 24, 2020.

1. myothername

myothername New commenter

Does anybody here have knowledge of both the American curriculum and IB, for English?

I'd love a PM conversation about this with someone who knows both systems.

2. twisty08

twisty08 New commenter

I have experience of both the British and IB curricula. Both have their pluses and minuses. In my experience, the British curriculum is more highly regarded at the elite level as the IB can be a bit "wishy washy" in certain elements. However, the IB does allow for more discovery and expression, which goes in its favour over the British curriculum, in my opinion.

3. Arepa

Arepa New commenter

There is no American curriculum. Some curricula are set by a State, some are set by the School District, and some by the school. They can all be different. The closest that the US would come to a national curriculum would be the "Common Core". It is more of a guide, I think than a curriculum in the British or IB sense. It is not accepted by all. Google it. If you wanted to find out what is taught at a specific school, you would have to go to their web site.

Good luck.

4. miketribe

miketribe Established commenter

But the US equivalent of the IB would be the AP (Advanced Placement) exams. These are not nearly as advanced as IB or A Levels. They’re designed to be taken by students in Year 12 or 13, but some students take (and pass!) them in Year 10.

5. Arepa

Arepa New commenter

I agree with miketribe that the AP is not as advanced as the IB (particularly with regard to History). The AP, unlike the IB, is also not really a curriculum in the sense of a course of study. Rather, it is an assortment of subject exams (38 in total). Students have the option to take one, several or no exams. Some US schools offer only a few exams or no exams. Regarding AP English, there are two different exams (English Language and Composition and English Literature and Composition) so, once again, I would advise the OP to check out the individual school to see which AP English is being offered or if it is being offered at all.

miketribe likes this.