1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

American citizen looking at training options in UK

Discussion in 'Overseas trained teachers' started by Londongirl1, Jan 19, 2011.

  1. I have a question regarding the best way for a non EU citizen to gain QTS in England. - Can anyone help please?
    My partner would like to train to be a primary school teacher so he can teach in the UK, he has a degree in Engineering from a University in the US so has maths/science based degree.
    He is currently living in the US but his intention is to move to the UK when I we married and through this he would have a work visa for the UK.
    We have seen from doing research that there seem to be 3 options for him to get his QTS for the UK:
    1.Graduate Teacher Programme
    3. If he trains to be a teacher in the US then he could get work as an unqualified teacher and then hopefully find an employer who would let him train for his Overseas Teacher Training certificate.
    My questions are :
    -Would him being American and having no knowledge of the UK education system pose a problem to him getting employment at a school for a GTP-would he be put at a disadvantage as he is not British?
    -Is it difficult to get a school to employ one on a GTP? -Is it more likely that he would be able to get a school to take him for a OTT?
    -Is there an advantage of having a PGCE over a GTP?
    I hope this makes sense.
    Many thanks for any help.

  2. Hi Londongirl1,

    I'm originally from America and moved to England when I married my husband. I currently teach English in Secondary Schools over here. I think his best option would be a PGCE. He's not likely at all to get a GTP because you apply to the council and places are very competative and always given to people from the council they are applying to.

    The benefits of the PGCE is that the qualification is tansferable to the States. The PGCE has also been preferred for progression. (In my experience talking and with talking to my head of dept.) There are drawbacks though. Because he is from the states he will have to pay overseas tuition fees for his PGCE and that's around 10000 plus pounds. He also isn't entitled to get the teaching bursary or Golden Hello you get for teaching science and maths. It's very difficult for someone from the States to get their teaching qualification over here. We just spent the 10,000 and I took a year out of work to do it.

    Hope this helps! Not sure if I got all your questions or not! :)
  3. I don't have experience with the PGCE or GTP from an overseas point of view, but I did come to the UK as an unqualified teacher. I completed my teacher training and student teaching, subbed for a year and then was lucky to find a position through an agency when work permits were still being given for English teachers from abroad (this isn't happening now and the whole Visa system is changing currently). You may be able to find a position at a private school that isn't run by the council and then pay for the QTS on your own (I had a friend who did this) or alternatively pay the extra expense to do the PGCE as recomnded in the above post. There are pro's and con's to everything of course - good luck!

Share This Page