1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

American 3 year work visa advice needed

Discussion in 'Personal' started by patchi, Mar 17, 2012.

1. At this time year, it can take longer as this is the time when many students/others start applying for their J-1 visa to work at summer camps in the USA.
    Once you have applied, you will be booked in to have an interview at the USA Embassy in London and a detailed letter of what you can/cannot bring/do etc, will be with it. Your fingerprints will be taken, so make sure you have no cuts, scratches etc on them - scars are the exception, or else your appointment will be cancelled.
    The only interview experience I have had with the USA Embassy is that of applying for a J-1 visa to work at a USA summer camp for 2 summers, but only had to attend the Embassy in my first year ('09).
    As your visa is for a much longer period, the interview will be much longer and some waiting around but it can vary from day to day. Hope you're appointment (you sometimes get to choose the date from a selection of 3, but this may have changed) isn't on a Saturday!
    I have a friend who recently has returned from spending 18months working in the USA, so I am sure she is more in the know about what happens with the type of visa you are applying for. I'll ask, but I'm sure other posters will be happy to help.

2. Actually, I don't think the interview length correlates with the visa length. When I applied for my greencard, the interview was pretty much the same length as when I went for a j-1 student visa. By interview they mean looking at your paperwork. The worst bit is sitting in the Embassy. (after finding somewhere to leave your phone, beeper for your car keys etc) You get a number and then you sit and wait for your number. However, this is not like the deli counter at Tesco, where if you are number 76, you can assume you will get served after 75. No, no, no. It can only be assumed that there is a chimpanzee with a tombola in the rear of the building pulling numbers out.Take a good book. Not a kindle, or Ipad, just a good book.

3. Firstly, thank you for replying.
    The company manager, who is applying on my behalf, has already put the application in. It's in the hands of the lawyers as we speak. I understand that the whole process can take anywhere up to 12 weeks. I have heard about the Embassy's rules and regulations as my boyfriend gained a 3-year visa through the same company, so will be travelling to London light. I have read on a website that the USA Embassy in London is not open on a Saturday, is this correct?
    I am more concerned about the criteria in which you are judged. Does anyone know if debt is judged? By this I mean, if you have a credit card bill and a morgage? I have a very good record and have never faulted on a payment, just wondered if the amount of debt is taken into account. I intend on renting my house out whuch will cover the mortgage and because I will have a job to go to, the credit card bill will get paid as normal.
    I really want this to happen, so just covering all ground really.
    Oh, I am also a professional women, with 6 years experience in teaching. I have a degree and a PGCE, so surely this should go for me. I know my boyfriend, does not have this and isn't a professional and he still manages to gain a three year visa, so he said I shouldn't worry, but just thought I's make further investigations.
    Thank you for your help.

4. Lot's of mistakes made. Sorry!!

5. Darthteacher

Darthteacher New commenter

If you are on a J1 - the work visa tax treaty only lasts two years, on your third year they will come after you and try to take as much as possible. I didn't realise this and they took $12,000. They are crooked, so try to file with a good agency, steer clear of H & R Block. Good luck.