1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ambitions - personal, professional and for school?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by jabed, Jun 13, 2011.

1. I am somewhat unaccustomed and uncomfortable with having to ask questions like this but I have a plethora of paperwork in front of me and I just do not know what is best to write.
    Amongst the department plans( short, medium and long term) and whole school plans and peer reviews and target assessments I have the following:
    a) What are your ambitions for the school?
    b) What are your personal ambitions?
    c) What are your ambitions for your department?
    Now the last I can answer because I am working toward attempting to make my dept a centre of excellence in the area but the others have me stumped. Anyone else had papers like this who might proffer an answer or two as possibilities (clean and serious ones please). My deadline is tomorrow. I only had the papers Friday afternoon. A bit of a rush job for some reason upstairs.

2. In what context are these questions? Why do you need to answer them? I understand a) and c), but not why b) is relevant for anything work-wise.

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Well your ambitions for the department are also for the school? What do you teach? You could mention attempting to get Artmark or a similar status for your subject and how this will reflect on the school?

4. Peer Review and Development Planning . I cannot see what my personal aspirations have to do with this but its there. A bit like the commitment question on peer review each year and the what am I proud of about our school. I am not sure what the context is from managements point of view. So I am asking in case others here have the experience to answer the questions as I do not.

5. Thank you for that. I could work something in about being a centre of excellence as part of a whole school vision of some kind maybe.

6. Sounds like a time wasting exercise to me :s Sorry cant be more help.

7. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

"To not waste my precious time answering stupid intrusive questions."

8. My HOD would reply, if being honest, as
    a) Ambitions for school
    To be in a position to write me a reference to further my career
    b) Personal Ambitions
    To further my career at all costs. ALL costs.
    c) Ambitions for department
    To shaft them to further my career.
    Hope that helps.