1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Amazon! The devil in disguise!

Discussion in 'Book club' started by MsBB1971, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Ok, I have an addiction to books and really feel that Amazon is not helping!!
    Not only does their 'buy with just one click' icon make it far too easy for me to feed my addiction but now I'm not even safe on holiday!!
    Having gone to the Edinburgh Fringe a few weeks back, called in the services on the way and obviously had a look at WHSmiths to browse. I'm safe there usually as even their 'Buy one, get one half price' deal is not that good.
    Well, found a 'must have' book, but was not going to pay full price for it. OH scanned book with his phone and found the price on amazon (half the price) and before I knew it, 'one click' later, my book was on its way.... I wasn't even due home until the end of the week!!
    But, must admit, it was a nice feeling knowing I had a great book waiting for me when I got home... helped with the post holiday blues... [​IMG]
    Anybody else have an Amazon addiction???

2. Ok, I have an addiction to books and really feel that Amazon is not helping!!
    Not only does their 'buy with just one click' icon make it far too easy for me to feed my addiction but now I'm not even safe on holiday!!
    Having gone to the Edinburgh Fringe a few weeks back, called in the services on the way and obviously had a look at WHSmiths to browse. I'm safe there usually as even their 'Buy one, get one half price' deal is not that good.
    Well, found a 'must have' book, but was not going to pay full price for it. OH scanned book with his phone and found the price on amazon (half the price) and before I knew it, 'one click' later, my book was on its way.... I wasn't even due home until the end of the week!!
    But, must admit, it was a nice feeling knowing I had a great book waiting for me when I got home... helped with the post holiday blues... [​IMG]
    Anybody else have an Amazon addiction???

3. Completely- especially with my kindle. You finish one book and then just buy another and as you say "one click" makes it too easy.
    Plus whenever I log on there are pages of recommendations, add in all the emails they send me. I spend a fortune...trying to rein it in at minute tho. Looking at the free books on Amazon kindle and exploring new authors. Using my library more too.

4. lrw22

lrw22 Occasional commenter

I have a bit of an amazon addiction too but I've been using the wish list instead of buy with one click.

5. Oh, Amazon are so sneaky!
    They keep sending me e-mails...."you recently bought xxxxx perhaps you would like yyyyy?!"
    And then there are their 'recommendations' - how thoughtful of them to have so many pages on their website dedicated to finding me new books (real and Kindle), Cds and DVDs!
    I do have a wish-list on Amazon...but I keep filling it up faster than I can find people to buy items for me!...Hopefully Christmas will reduce the wish-list!...If only <u>everyone</u> would stick to the list when buying for me!

6. Underachiever

Underachiever New commenter

I do find Amazon's personal recommendations a little annoying sometimes. Just because I bought a Spanish cookery book once doesn't mean I want six more. Just because I bought my son biography of Bob Marley doesn't mean I want to know about the lives of every musician since the 1960s. Nevertheless, my name is underachiever and I am an addict.

7. I have just replaced our washer-dryer with a superb Samsung machine from Amazon. And it cost &pound;240 less than at Currys! And free delivery and removal of the old machine. Result!
    I love Amazon and have spent a fortune with them over the last 10 years or so, but I've always had excellent service, choice and prices. I mainly buy books and CDs, and I find the reviews and 'suggestions' useful. But ...... it is so very easy to get carried away and buy more than you intended!