1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Amazing Horse Race

Discussion in 'Personal' started by modelmaker, Apr 9, 2012.

1. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Something I was listening to today mentioned the 2009 Kentucky Derby which was won by Mine That Bird, a 50-1 outsider. They mentioned that at one point in this amazing race, Mine That Bird was right at the back of the pack but then changed gear and wove his way through to win the race way, way ahead of the rest.
    I checked youtube to see if there was any video footage and there is, the best one being an overhead video of the race which shows how he did it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDaRM1hcWXw&feature=related

2. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

3. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

You'd be safe with this one, cariad, there weren't any casualties.
    To be honest, I don't follow horse racing myself, but when I hear a story where the underdog not only comes good but excels beyond anyone's imagination, it interests me. This horse lost 31 of the previous 32 races it ran in and the opinion of all the pundits before the race was that it would be better off being left in the barn eating hay.
    You could ask yourself how many people you know carry the burden of a similar opinion about them.
    The jockey says he treated the horse like it was a "good horse", i.e. like it had a chance of winning given the chance.

4. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

OK, I like stories of underdogs winning through so clicked on the link, and have to admit that it was an amazing victory.
    But I still think it's - generally - a very cruel sport. [​IMG]

5. njs1999

njs1999 New commenter

Based on what?

6. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

Based on the number of horses killed and injured every year.
    "Approximately 12,000 foals are born into the closely-related British and Irish racing industries each year, yet fewer than 50 per cent go on to become racers. Those horses who do not make the grade may be slaughtered for meat or repeatedly change hands in a downward spiral of neglect. Of those horses who do go on to race, around 420 are raced to death every year."
    http://www.animalaid.org.uk/h/n/CAMPAIGNS/horse/