1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'Amateur' organising an exchange!!!!!

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by marmot.morveux, Jun 20, 2011.

1. marmot.morveux

marmot.morveux New commenter

Hi folks,
    I'm organising an exchange - a rather unorthodox one, as the only way I can make it work is to include dance and PE students as we don't have enough year 11/12 linguists....

My main questions is, 'who pays what?' and what other costs have I forgotten?
    so here are my thoughts so far;
    We will pay the cost of food and lodgings to accomodate French children our end, insurance for our kids, the visits whilst the kids are in France, transport (coach and ferry) to and whilst in France, petrol, insurance and breakdown for my car - to be used for emergencies whilst in France. Pupils then bring money for food during travel and pocket money.
    Likewise, the French hosts/families will do similar. With 'copperbeech's help of a letter, I have drafted the first letter but I wondered, have I missed any costs that you can think of?

I'd also be interested to see if anyone has a risk assessment to cover anything I might have forgotten?

Many thanks,
    MM.

2. marmot.morveux

marmot.morveux New commenter

Hi folks,
    I'm organising an exchange - a rather unorthodox one, as the only way I can make it work is to include dance and PE students as we don't have enough year 11/12 linguists....

My main questions is, 'who pays what?' and what other costs have I forgotten?
    so here are my thoughts so far;
    We will pay the cost of food and lodgings to accomodate French children our end, insurance for our kids, the visits whilst the kids are in France, transport (coach and ferry) to and whilst in France, petrol, insurance and breakdown for my car - to be used for emergencies whilst in France. Pupils then bring money for food during travel and pocket money.
    Likewise, the French hosts/families will do similar. With 'copperbeech's help of a letter, I have drafted the first letter but I wondered, have I missed any costs that you can think of?

I'd also be interested to see if anyone has a risk assessment to cover anything I might have forgotten?

Many thanks,
    MM.

3. Hi Marmot,
    I have been running and/or participating in exchanges for quite some time.
    A lot of it depends on the relationship you have with the school in France. On our German exchange, for example, we pay for ALL costs on this side, and they pay for ALL costs on their side. We then do a rough calculation to make sure that it is similar - and it usually is - but this year they paid for their coach from the airport to our school, whereas in Germany the host families collected us at the airport.
    Our French exchange is complicated by having 2 schools here and 2 schools in France. At the end of the "second leg" we all sit around with all of our recipts, a lot of English cash and a lot of Euros and we try to divide the costs 4 ways - not easy!
    I can send you our risk assessment if you like? (All 50 something pages of it!) PM me your email address. I'll attach a few letters etc if that helps?
    PJ
    PS - Echanges? I LOVE them!!

4. Hi Marmot,
    Having run several trips abroad, I've yet to be adventurous enough to organise a proper exchange visit. I've been led to believe that each adult coming into contact with a pupil must have a CRB check - surely this can't be true. I've even considered going over to the school but having our pupils stay in a local hostel/cheap hotel - however this would push up the price and they wouldn't get the full benefit that they would get from staying with the family. Would you mind sending me a copy of your risk assessment please? jackiemdubois@hotmail.com.
    Many thanks

5. Hi Marmott,

I am trying to set up an exchange and any letters or risk assessments would be welcome. My email is suy@westergate.org.uk

Merci,

Sylvie

6. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

CRB checks are not needed for host family adults.