1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Amanda Spielman's latest speech

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by dalersmith, Jul 11, 2019.

1. dalersmith

dalersmith Occasional commenter

2. moscowbore

moscowbore Senior commenter

Spielman neglects to mention that the 900 unfilled trainee places may be due to the simple fact that teaching is a very unattractive job.
    She does admit that in the past schools delivered qualifications to maximise their league table points. She does not say that this situation has changed and my own experience is that maximising league table points is the main driver for any school currently.
    I really do not see anything in the speech which says how the recruitment issue is to be tackled.

Computing was not mentioned in the speech. She was specifically addressing D&T. I think OFSTED have accepted that CS is on its way out.

More empty rhetoric.

ParakeetGreen likes this.
  3. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

What evidence do you see for CS being on its way out? Statistically the number of GCSE and A level entries is up, and empirically I see more students doing GCSE Computer Science across the county and fewer schools trying to defy the will of the DfE by desperately clinging on to ICT qualifications.

4. dalersmith

I suppose it is a perception thing, yes more students took CS this year at GCSE, however the drop in IT qualifications was a huge blow. Even the NCCE are advertising a non exam KS4 - computing for all CPD. I doubt, but I hope I am wrong that, many schools, will plug for all students doing CS GCSE. Rather they will give an hour a week to the idea of computing for all. This way they hit the curriculum intent without taking a hit with poor results due to poor KS3 preparation.
    Those of us on the ground teaching Computing are fighting a loosing battle with SLT to get the time for a high quality curriculum. CS is classed as a science for EBacc, most sciences get double or even more time than CS does in KS3 yet we are brought to task when results are not in line. There are many schools that ignore the NC, not all are academies, in favour of GCSE results.

5. madcat

madcat Occasional commenter

Ah yes our old friends lies, damn lies and statistics.

I can interpret figures from here in any way which supports my cause.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/stati...r-gcse-as-and-a-level-summer-2019-exam-series
    2018 - Computing : 72360 - ICT: 43995
    2019 - Computing : 78080 - ICT: 0

With my CAS, government cheer-leader hat on
    There has been an 8% increase in students studying Computing - woo hoo

But with my curmudgeonly old git; reality check; we're all doomed stance I could equally truthfully state that
    35000+ fewer students are studying either ICT or computing - woe is us

I think the reality is very complicated and depends on geographical area ; type of school etc etc.
    In my area CS seems to be thriving in the independents but is being cast aside in an increasing number of state establishments

6. moscowbore

moscowbore Senior commenter

Schools are electing to stop teaching CS. Schools make zero effort to meet ks3 NC requirements , schools exist which do not offer CSGcse. No school is being criticized by OFSTED for doing any of these things.
    CS requires timetable time in ks3 , expensive resources, scarce qualified teachers. Without school commitment to invest in these resources CS cannot thrive. Schools are totally measured by exam passes. School senior managers risk losing their jobs if pass rates fall. Schools will always go for the easiest route to exam passes. CS is a very difficult route so schools will try to just not do it and are being allowed to do without a peep from OFSTED.
    CS will thrive in grammar and fee paying schools where the resources are made available and classes of 32 very mixed ability students are unknown.

dalersmith and ParakeetGreen like this.
  7. dalersmith

I cannot help but agree with you, I am hoping, maybe a forlorn hope, but I am hoping that OFSTED may crack down on schools that do not offer a full KS3 Computing or that do not offer any suitable course in KS4.