1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Am starting to shadow SENco to take the role on in January with support- advice?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by littlemissstressed, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Hi All,
    I am currently an NQT and will be shadowing my current SENco from September to January and have spoken to my Head tonight and he has said to shadow and take on the role with support from January- I am over the moon at the prospect so wondered if anyone could give me some ideas for good books/documents to get my head around over the summer????
    Thanks

2. Hi All,
    I am currently an NQT and will be shadowing my current SENco from September to January and have spoken to my Head tonight and he has said to shadow and take on the role with support from January- I am over the moon at the prospect so wondered if anyone could give me some ideas for good books/documents to get my head around over the summer????
    Thanks

3. dc521

dc521 New commenter

Read the SEN Code of Practice.

Try to review a few file sof kids on statements to see what goes in them.

And try to make up a list of contacts, eg Doctors etc.

AND MAKE SURE THAT IN JANUARY YOU GET PAID FOR IT!

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

5. I'm shadowing the senco as well. I'm doing it as part of my performance management. I'm going on new senco courses and am taking over the statement reviews during the course of the year also.

6. leave an email and I'll send you some stuff I got on a 'New and Aspiring Senco' course recently, it was very good!

7. Ceiiach,
    Please could you email me the stuff from the course you have attended? I am taking on responsibility for KS1 SEN in September. Many thanks in advance.
    A x

8. am email address would help!!!

9. I am leaving my senco role behind and the Deputy Head is taking over and very stressed about it, sadly there is no time for her to shadow me so any information i could leave for her would be great!
    thanks lizzylight@hotmail.co.uk

10. Could I get a copy too please, I'm applying to take over in Sept.
    Thanks
    avissta@yahoo.co.uk

11. Sorry I didn't leave my email address. I was in a bit of a rush. It is akearsley@aol.com.
    Thanks again.

12. Keighleigh

Keighleigh New commenter

Hi ceiiach,
    If you still have your 'New and Aspiring Senco' course bits can you e-mail them to me please, would love a copy before I start! Cheers, K

keighplus@blueyonder.co.uk

13. Can I be cheeky and ask for the info too please? I am taking on the role in Sept and don't know where to start!!

sian_182@yahoo.co.uk

14. If you do have anything that would assist with covering the SENCo role, please can you include me on the email list.

JamieAndHisMagicTorch@Hotmail.co.uk

Many thanks in advance

Jamie

15. I am a teacher with over 10 years expereience in more than 1 LEA. I have always had a good understanding of SEN, however being a good teacher with SEN and being SENCO is different. I was always heading in that direction and had completed the L5 certificate course, when i suddenly because SENCO after ours got a promotion.

I do not want to curb anyones enthusaim, but being a SENCO isn't easy. My major pieces of advice are
    1) expect it to be hard, there's the ability to know how to support children, and colleagues (you will need to know how many on your SEN register)
    2) theres a lot of time spent dealing with parents
    3) during your first few weeks, do use the time to go through your SEN files, even its it just to check against your SEN register, who do you have paperwork for, what SEN type needs (categories), iep? ibp? etc School numbers Audit in Oct, so if you get ready for it, your office staff will love you. What lives in your cupboard/office space.
    4) be aware there is a lot of regulartory bits to do. and you will need to know them quickly.
    5) do read the SEN CofP (even if only skim read) - but my suggestion is to copy and paste into a word document the important bits you didn't know....

6) and most importantly...
    DO USE THE ADVICE NETWORK that exists, you are not on your own. Ask for advice if you are stuck, completing an application for a statement or otherwise. One of the biggest helps of the award is the networking of people in similar positions to yourselves. Ask your senco to sit in on as many meeting with LEA SEN advisor etc. Get out there. Do read lots of background reading about the most common types of SEN

7) Oh and allow for the time the SENCO award/accrediation will take. Talking to other colleagues in different areas, each course runs somewhat differently.

8) Enjoy it! and 6+8 again.
    Good luck to all people who take on this hard but hughely rewarding role, especially on top of teaching.