1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Am no longer studying for QTS just PGCE... what now?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Avian, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Hi,
    Today myself and my link tutor have come to the desicion that, due to some early cockups (some mine and some my first placement school's) that have lead to me being way behind and unable to catchup, I am not going to be trying for my QTS this year. However I am carrying on with my PGCE. Partially because the qts side of things is not even what i'm sure i want to do anymore even though i thought it was when i first applied for the course.
    What I am wondering is effectivly, what on earth do I do now? I'm well aware that I cannot become a class room teacher but i'm starting to think that that would not have suited me. I am instead considering looking at other carrer options and would like to know what is out there. I have heard possibilities of museum education departments and also the forest schools project but there must be others as well and would like to know if anyone knows what these are?
    Many thanks!

2. Hi,
    Today myself and my link tutor have come to the desicion that, due to some early cockups (some mine and some my first placement school's) that have lead to me being way behind and unable to catchup, I am not going to be trying for my QTS this year. However I am carrying on with my PGCE. Partially because the qts side of things is not even what i'm sure i want to do anymore even though i thought it was when i first applied for the course.
    What I am wondering is effectivly, what on earth do I do now? I'm well aware that I cannot become a class room teacher but i'm starting to think that that would not have suited me. I am instead considering looking at other carrer options and would like to know what is out there. I have heard possibilities of museum education departments and also the forest schools project but there must be others as well and would like to know if anyone knows what these are?
    Many thanks!

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Without QTS you can't be employed as a qualified teacher in the state sector. You need to discuss your options with the university careers service-there are a couple of useful publications about work with children and work in education outside of the classroom which they can direct you to and tell you what the current situation is. You will find that education officer posts in the public sector are being cut back and many will require work experience prior to entry.
    Ex teachers I know are now- social workers, gym instructors, sports coaches, care home managers, education welfare officers, holiday reps, nursery managers and even lapdancers!