1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Am I wasting my time?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by iamsnotwhoyouthinkiam, Mar 23, 2016.

1. iamsnotwhoyouthinkiam

iamsnotwhoyouthinkiam New commenter

My informal capability has been extended. I have been told that it will not be extended after the end date (conveniently after Y11 leave). A decision will be made... Given that it has been noted I have made progress but apparently I am still failing to meet all of my targets (3s across the board) and I have noticed that a few things don't add up (told one thing one time and the opposite when it suits, during observations, the usual yes, I know you did that but....... not being told in advance of changes so I fail but I should have asked) what are the chances of me not being put on formal capability?

I am trying my hardest to succeed and it is fairly obvious that what ever I do they will find fault. Nothing I do is right or good enough. Contradictions they make are my problem. I am sick of it but I now have to play ball for longer, is there any point?

2. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

do you need to stay there? look around, there are jobs out there. Chat to people you used to work with, they may well know of a post that would suit you and where you might be treated with some modicum of respect.

3. iamsnotwhoyouthinkiam

No I do not, and thank you, I never thought about the respect aspect before. As I have said in previous posts I will leave teaching, as for various reasons I have issues getting interviews and certainly will have with formal capability on my record.

4. iamsnotwhoyouthinkiam

Cool avatar, got to love a Hamster playing a tuba!

5. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

"and its a bl...dy Euphonium"
    can you name that film in one?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

You mean it's not a Mukkinese Battle Horn?

7. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

close but no coconut!

8. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

I always thought it was a rat.....

ValentinoRossi likes this.
  9. iamsnotwhoyouthinkiam

Brassed off. Can we get back on topic please?

hammie likes this.
  10. JAFF23

JAFF23 Occasional commenter

Hi iamsnotwhoyouthinkiam: I am also on informal capability and am looking around for alternative posts in my preferred choice of age group so completely agree with hammie. Even if a miracle happens and we get out of informal capability there is still no guarantee as to where you will be placed in school next year and as you are now essentially a 'victim' they could place you anywhere to make your life uncomfortable as has been pointed out to me hence why I am looking for a job within my field of expertise even though my confidence has hit rock bottom. There are lots of new opportunities out there already for September. Good luck!!

11. Caligraphy

Caligraphy Occasional commenter

I'm so sorry that this is happening to you. It's horrible and unfair. Please please go back to your previous thread and read the advice on there. In one way this will not end well for you. They want you out and nothing you will do will change that. On the other hand, and speaking from experience, there is a whole new world of opportunity out there. I was bullied out of a job. I am now working part time in two jobs that teach vital life skills, and I love it.

12. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

Thanks Caligraphy,

It's good to know that you are doing well.

SSS

13. Caligraphy

Caligraphy Occasional commenter

:) Thank you. I still intend to support my colleagues who are having a rubbish time, and fight the good fight. What doesn't kill you makes you strong!;)

Sinnamon and grumpydogwoman like this.
  14. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

I am sorry to one and all for what they are going through whilst on this capability lark.

There may have been a time when common sense prevailed and there may be some schools where it still does but the evidence of so many threads in the past year or so is that common sense has all but evaporated.

The general advice seems to be that if you hear the word "capability" propelled in your direction then prepare to run. Get your union on board asap so that at least you have someone on your side but start looking for alternative employment. I find it so sad typing these words but my own experience (many years ago) and the collective experience of people on these threads force me to this conclusion.

The main problem of this is the deep strike at confidence and it does run very deep. It cuts you to your very heart and fibre. You need to try and hang onto the fact that you are a good teacher in spite of what is said to you. Being a good teacher also makes you eminently suitable for a range of other things. @TheoGriff has a whole series of resources dealing with this and it is worthwhile looking at them.

Best of luck to everyone in this situation.

slingshotsally likes this.
  15. peakster

peakster Star commenter

You won't escape from capability

It's a not very subtle way of getting rid of people.

thekillers and slingshotsally like this.
  16. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

To answer your two questions
    Zero
    No

Start to look for other jobs now.
    Read all the advice on jobseekers and then go and get those interviews!
    Discuss with your union what your options are should you not be successful in obtaining a new post before the end of informal capability.

I was in the same position two years ago, with extension after extension. If they really thought I was as useless as they said, you'd think they'd want rid ASAP wouldn't you?! Eventually in the very last week of term in July we had the meeting and blah blah blah....guess the rest!
    My union were great, it helps having regional officers as personal friends!

There is life out there in nice schools with decent headteachers, even for those of us over 40 and on ups3.

17. iamsnotwhoyouthinkiam

As I am obviously such an incompetent teacher I am not going to continue to be a teacher any more (yet they are still letting me teach?). I will supply (already had a conversation with the agency, they are OK about it all) for a while and look for something else to do. Plus I am fed up with the work load and the unrealistic expectations, one of which seems to be that during term time you will do nothing else.

What annoys me is why they feel the need to pretend I have a cat in hades chance for the sake of a power trip. Why can't they behave like professionals, call me into their office and present me with a cheque, get me to sign away any right to take them to a tribunal, and then show me the door. This is how it is done in industry (and yes I do know that is the case). Done and dusted in a week.

Is it because as teachers who have never worked in industry or dealt with "normal" adults think that treating me like a child and punishing me by putting me through all this stress is acceptable?

thekillers and slingshotsally like this.
  18. ValentinoRossi

ValentinoRossi Star commenter

Oi! Stop that thought process right now!

"Is it because as teachers who have never worked in industry or dealt with "normal" adults think that treating me like a child and punishing me by putting me through all this stress is acceptable?" - This does not apply to all who have never done anything but teach! You know that, though, don't you? You're having a bad time. But you really need to be kind to yourself :) You are worth much more than these negative thoughts.

slingshotsally likes this.
  19. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

You union should be sorting that kind of thing on your behalf if that is what you want to do.

If you are planning to sod off out before formal capability starts (And you do need to do that) then stop trying to jump through their hoops. Just relax, know you are out of there soon and enjoy teaching in the way you know best. They are going to say it is **** whatever you do, so just do it your way. Stop caring and enjoy teaching.

ValentinoRossi likes this.
  20. iamsnotwhoyouthinkiam

Valentino: Yes I do, but a lot of SLT and HOD that have only taught have no idea how to manage or instruct people in a fair, transparent and clear way and then result to petty punishments/guilt trips when their orders are.not carried out as we have no idea how to do so. Some have personality disorders or are just sick *****ers that get pleasure out of making peoples life a misery.

Caterpillar: School will not allow union representation at this stage. Union say if that is what is in the policy then that is the policy, nothing they can do. It has been made abundantly clear that if I insist on union representation I will move to formal immediately.

The requirements of my support plan make it difficult to take your **** it approach. I comply or die! My exit plan also requires me to get paid over the Summer holidays, otherwise I can't afford my holiday!

thekillers likes this.