1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Am I wasting my time.

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by trout-mad, Aug 23, 2011.

1. trout-mad

trout-mad New commenter

I'm about to start a PGDE in chemistry. I had always thought about teaching but got a string of decent lab based jobs after university so never took it up. Combined with a D in Higher English I just thought it wouldn't happen. Then 2 years ago I lost my job and have been knocking around dead end jobs and driving a taxi since then. I decided to do higher English again and sat it this year and got an A (woohoo). Combined with voluntary work in a school one day a week, working full time, studying and my wife having our first baby. I've worked damn hard to get here.

But looking on the forums it seems I'm getting into debt and going to work hard for nothing as there's no jobs. But looking in the media there is a massive shortage of science teachers.

I can't afford to do this to end up where I am now again. I have a house and a family to support.

And finally in my rant where do LA's get off treating teachers like they do? It's the children that will ultimately suffer when their teachers have no stability and job security. The ones that can will go back to what they did before when the economy picks up again (the ones that have had other careers anyway). We need an educated workforce to get the country back on it's feet but it seems everyone is trying to hold the next generation back and disadvantage them at every turn. It looks like the tail wagging the dog to me!

Anyway should I go for it or am I wasting my time and money?

2. lescargot

lescargot Occasional commenter

Lets get one thing straight right away - there is no 'massive shortage' of chemistry teachers. Perhaps there are 'pockets' of need in certain areas. Also permanence of any kind is becoming rarer and rarer. However a lot of the answer to your question depends on your location and how willing/able you are to move. If you would be willing to move for temporary contracts there is a chance you would get some work. Good luck whatever you decide.

3. The universities don't decide how many teachers to train: they are TOLD by the government. Direct your blame elsewhere.

4. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

I understand your point but why can't someone stand up to the govt? I know that sounds ridiculous but people can be turned. Universties ARE allowing too many students in; they pay handsomely for the priviledge and keep lecturers in jobs, so it's not in universities' interests to contradict the govt. The present situation is grim and as OP stated it's the future generations who will have to pick up the pieces after all this hits the fan.............and it will.

5. ryeland

ryeland New commenter

"Perhaps there are 'pockets' of need in certain areas."
    I would like to find one of these pockets.

6. trout-mad

trout-mad New commenter

It seems crazy but at my interview for the course I was told the numbers for next year will be reduced. Then in 2013 they will go UP again and quite sharply!

7. lescargot

lescargot Occasional commenter

I know what you mean ryeland. I went for 15 interviews and it took me 2 years to get a job after probation. My friend who ticked the box got employed straight away after probation then 2 years later went for another perm job and got it. For some of the jobs I applied for there were 40 or more applicants. For hers, 2 applicants!!

8. manc

manc New commenter

You are not wasting your time - but you do need to use more question marks when typing, I'd say.

9. trout-mad

trout-mad New commenter

It was ten to one in the morning when I wrote it. But no excuses I hold my hands up.