1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Am I unrealistic?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Lara mfl 05, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I don't want to pour oil on already troubled waters but I think you deserve to be prepared.
    Some people are getting regular supply work but many of us are not.
    Primary school teachers are in super-abundance at the moment, far too many for posts available.
    Your main priority at present is yourself & your little baby. In five years time, when he/she will be ready for school, the situation may look very different. You have a great many changes to adapt to at the minute & your hormones will need to revert back to normal, so just look at the next few months at present-I sort of presume you're on maternity leave, in which case just enjoy theis precious time with your baby & leave decisions yet awhile.

2. No I am not on mat leave- unfortunately- my daughter is 18 months old and i need to work to pay the bills,single parenthood is not nice!
    I appreciate your response- and I take it on board- several agencies have said they could get me 2/3 days a week but wondering if they are just talking the talk so to speak. I am going to give it until May half term and then revise plans accordingly.I hope I am one of the people getting regular work..... again agencies say they dont have many supply teachers where I live.
    Fingers crossed X

3. janeygrey

janeygrey New commenter

Good luck. Maybe ring around local schools to ask which agencies they use? I keep saying it, but I work EVERY day doing day to day supply. I work in the inner city and teach primary - so yes, it is area and keystage influenced xx

4. I have been in your position single-mum-wise, but honestly at the age your daughter is now, you will have to pay for full-time child care just in case you get work and you may not. As your hours are not guaranteed to be 16 or more a week you may not be entitled to Working Tax Credit and TBH in your position, I would wait till she is 3 and eligible for 15 hours free nursery care.
    Unless you have someone who will look after her for free, in which case ignore everything I just said :)

5. It is helpful to know that you work every day as beginning to feel that it was all doom and gloom. Many Thanks for your replyX

6. I have managed to save enough to pay for two months 3/4 days childcare so I am hoping that I get work , I am not prepared to wait until she is three before I work as I will go insane with boredom and my daughter loves being at the childminders.My plan is to see how much work I get this month and have decided I am prepared to do anything ie cover supervisor/ HLTA/TA /teacher etc just to get my hand back in so to speak and also if I am working , then as you say , I get my childcare 70% paid .If my wage is low I get more money tax credits and if it is too high , then bonus......... I would rather try and see what happens than not work for two years TBH X but thanks for your thoughts