1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Am I too old ?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Bigbrownchicken, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Bigbrownchicken

Bigbrownchicken New commenter

At 46 ? Am I too old to go to college and study again for a year to become a TA? I will have to get a GCSE in maths as well. Its going to cost me around £500 with no guarantee of a job.A friend who is a TA told me not to bother and go work in a coffee shop instead! Thoughts ?

2. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I don't think it's worth paying for a course, reducing current paid work (?) etc in order to be able to apply for TA work.
    TA work is poorly paid and nothing like the advertised figures once the part-time hours for 44 weeks (max) are calculated.
    A coffe shop or supermarket job would be far less stressful and you'd earn more each year. You'd also get staff discounts in the supermarket and the chance for overtime to suit.
    Aldi pay the best hourly rates for retail assistants (well over £8 p.hr.)
    I went back to college at age 44 to do a PGCE and it was only worth it because of the teacher pay that I'd be earning later.

3. Saland45

Saland45 New commenter

I retrained and qualified at 40... So don't let age be a factor I am near enough your age !!! But let's be honest ..the pay is dire....you can earn more elsewhere and if you have to pay £500 with no guarantee of a job or you would be giving up a paid job then think carefully.....when I retrained I didn't have to pay for my course at the time but things have all changed and I already had GCSEs and A levels....if I had to have paid for my course I couldn't have afforded to retrain and I did try and get other work which was better paid!!!! ...this might sound quite negative but not anything to do with age!!!! X best wishes x

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. snugglepot

snugglepot Occasional commenter

No, when I retrained my friend was 44 and another two ladies were in there 40 s only two of us are still working the other two are retired now. I still see my friend and she retired because she was fed up with the expectations.
    It is up to you. Jobs are competitive and the work can be had. You are on your feet a lot and need oodles of patience. It is rewarding at times and can be a good career. Don't look at the job ads thinking it is well paid. Work out the pro-rata rate and remember we don't get paid in the holidays. No two days are ever the same so you certainly won't be bored.

5. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Good advice from snugglepot. If, when you have considered everything (including the low pay) it is what you want - then go for it. Your age should not put you off at all - anyway, if you listen to the government, pretty soon we will all have to work until we're 90 before we get a pension, so you'll have plenty of years left!!!

6. karlkarlkarl

karlkarlkarl New commenter

I'm currently 47 (I think) and became and in my 2nd year as a TA. As mentioned by many others, your age should not be over-riding factor in whether you pursue a career as a TA.

7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I agree 46 is still relatively young, so why not?

However do take onboard the financial implications. TA work can be very rewarding but is still relatively low paid. Plus with moves to cut back on school budgets there's no guarantee there will be future work. If you have no dependents or financial commitments it may be a possibility

Like with teaching if you feel you couldn't bear it if you didn't give it a try, then you owe it to yourself to try, but if you're 'just wondering' perhaps now, with the potential upheaval in schools is not the right time to be looking at this.

8. Bigbrownchicken

Bigbrownchicken New commenter

Thanks to you all for the replies. I certainly won't be doing it for the money that's for sure! I absolutely love being around children and that's what I'm meant to do. It's kind of now or never! So I'm going to go for it, if it doesn't work out well at least I can look back and say I gave it a go ! Iv'e seen so many women train for this job before me over the years, most of whom never even got work once qualified, so I am aware that I am taking a chance. I am not going to waste any more time worrying, what if this, what if that, I'm just going for it! Thanks again .

9. snugglepot

snugglepot Occasional commenter

Good for you.

10. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Brilliant! Welcome to our world and good luck with the course.