1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Am I too old?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by bellsk, Mar 2, 2016.

1. bellsk

bellsk New commenter

I am 50 and applying for jobs. I want to leave my current school for many reasons , but mainly I want a change! I have applied for 2 jobs, and haven't even been shortlisted. I took your advice on writing a letter of application and showed it to a couple of people for extra advice. I'm feeling discordant, is it my age? Should I redraft my letter? I'm feeling disappointed as I am a good teacher! What can I do?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

It is, of course, impossible for us to tell you why you haven't been successful. There are so many possible factors, not the least being the number and quality of other applicants.

That is not a large number. And if it's for a subject with no shortage, in an area with no shortage . . .

You should, of course, re-draft each time, as you shouldn't be sending the same letter to each school. Have you, I wonder, also been doing your E.S. before doing the letter? That does help you to concentrate on what are the essentials required by each school.

Why you should always include an E.S. in an application

In theory it shouldn't be, as that is an illegal discriminator . . . However . . .

Jobseeking for the older candidate

Best wishes

3. snowflakesfalling

snowflakesfalling Occasional commenter

Getting a new job at 50 is entirely possible. I did it. :)

jomaimai and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

And I'm 55 and start my new post after Easter!

jomaimai and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I've moved jobs twice in my 50s (and may well do again !)

jomaimai, Lara mfl 05 and wanet like this.
  6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

There you are then!

(I got a Headship in my mid 50's).

Best wishes

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  7. mkl

mkl New commenter

I was shortlisted recently at 57.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You certainly set out your value clearly in the application, @mkl .

Best wishes

9. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Many of the best, most inspiring teachers are older. But then, they started when children mattered more than data. Some of the best retired teachers I know got a job simply by sending in a handwritten letter on a small piece of paper! Thinking of some of them, they might not get jobs now. Trouble is, they know their subjects inside out. They refuse to reduce children to raw material or data. They know that planning and paperwork is not what matters to children.
    But they are in great demand from good heads who know what they're talking about-one 70 year old I know of still gets called in for supply

jomaimai likes this.
  10. jomaimai

jomaimai Established commenter

Absolutely no!
    But the real question here is..

Am I too expensive?

11. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

That depends on what salary you are prepared to accept. They won't know that unless you mention it in your application.