1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Am I too old for this sort of thing?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by holds, Aug 10, 2015.

1. I work in an international school in the UK and will be 62 next year. I've worked abroad in the past and am considering a couple of years somewhere before it's too late. I teach maths, have TEFL qualifications but only have a Cert Ed, no degree. Does anyone know of any age restrictions anywhere or have any general advice in my situation? Thanks. Mick

2. lunarita

lunarita Lead commenter

Some countries have age-limits for visas although I couldn't give you a list of which. Some countries are also strict about which qualifications they will allow for teachers, or foreign hire staff. Some don't however, and given that you teach Maths you've got a fair chance of finding something, I'd say. Good luck.

3. happygreenfrog

happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

As above really, but to clarify that where I am you cannot teach in the year in which you will have your 60th birthday. Already thinking about how I'll keep the grey matter ticking over and earning myself a few quid.

4. larathegiraffe

larathegiraffe New commenter

It depends where you want to teach. Some countries certainly have work visa age limits of 59 or 60. Others don't. There isn't a general answer, you have to look up each country you are interested in. Where do you want to go? Write a list then search Google, the forums where international teachers lurk and also ask various agencies who deal with international jobs. If all else fails, consider voluntary work in places like Cambodia, India or an African country, for example. Highly rewarding, you are much appreciated, are more in tune with the local community and may get a local salary and accommodation. Probably the best thing I ever did a few years back (although not quite at your age). I would suggest trying to find a job where you can have more time not teaching, or teaching at a less than UK frantic pace, with sunshine.

5. tica

tica New commenter

I am a similar age to OP and I left an overseas teaching post last year when my husband retired, thinking I could pick up something in our new country. Many, many unsuccessful applications later I have come to the conclusion that my age is the barrier as I have extensive overseas experience, great examination results etc. Most schools didn't even bother to reply. I looked at volunteering overseas but most seemed to require a substantial financial outlay - am I looking in the wrong places?

6. WaylonWu

WaylonWu Established commenter

As others have said, it depends on where you want to go. But you're not too old to give it a try.