1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Am I too old for the Middle East?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by msmillreef, Sep 10, 2019.

1. february31st

february31st Established commenter

I did a quick look around the staffroom and a third of our staff are in the 45+ age range, or put it another way the experienced middle managers of an organization.

But lets be honest many school owners don't want older experienced teachers as they get in the way of maximizing profits and running the schools as they see fit.

2. msmillreef

msmillreef New commenter

I'm happy to earn a good wage but not in it for the money anymore. My kids are all finally financially solvent and I just want to teach in the Middle East because.......well, I just fancy it! You all really helped with your comments so thank you very much. I don't feel like a broken down racehorse anymore!

3. markedout

markedout Occasional commenter

I moved to the UAE last year aged 50 - but I am older than the Principal and almost all of the teachers!

HGD, Mr_Frosty and msmillreef like this.
  4. Penny10p

Penny10p Occasional commenter

I have had problems getting a job in the UAE because my teaching subject is different from my degree. And now I am too old! I am very fit, healthy and young at heart. Too young to retire! I am wondering if I would be able to get a job as a local hire or do supply work. (I have family there). Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on this?

5. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I had been retired for six months, having hit the big six-oh, but then I saw that advert in the TES. (Yes, the TES has a lot to answer for...) Anyway, here I am, about to start my second semester at a saintly school in Sofia.

6. february31st

february31st Established commenter

You know you are getting old(but experienced) when the principal asks you to run some "inset" to younger members of the staff to teach Phonics to students while they are learning to read.

The use of T cards for teaching reading skills was a total shock to all the new whippersnappers!