1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Am I too old for the Middle East?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by msmillreef, Sep 10, 2019.

1. msmillreef

msmillreef New commenter

Hello chaps,
    I really never thought I'd be asking this question but looking through school websites the CEOs and Head teachers look like last years Year 13 leavers. I'm worried that time is ticking away and I might be considered too old for a move to the Middle East. Not to divulge too much but I am just over 50 (but look fabulous and you'd never tell from looking at me):D:D. I have been a HOD for 15 years in Hong Kong and before that a teacher also in Asia in a good school.
    I also have sub-questions; My degree certification doesn't state the exact subject that I teach - how do I get an attestation from the UAE government?
    Can I work in the UAE without my husband also working? He's also a teacher but not that bothered about getting a job so he will look for one if I get one first.
    Thanks a lot for all your help.

2. Powergnome3

Powergnome3 Occasional commenter

Yes, far too fresh-faced some of these new heads... but it is go-get-em territory here - so rapid promotion in the right sort of school.
    I don’t think you will have a problem at just over 50; if you were the right candidate to make a difference in my school, I’d hire you... now, 57+ may have second thoughts in terms of sustainability - but that would be the same in the UK, I’m sure.
    The degree matching the subject can be overcome by experience teaching your subject - ie if you have been a Maths teacher for 15 years but your degree is engineering, that would be no problem. However, if you’d been teaching Maths for 15 years with an engineering degree and applied to be a chemistry teacher, you may come unstuck!
    As for spouse... you would be awarded an international contract, and if he got a job, your school would move you onto a local hire (if your hubby was give an international contract too) - there is no double parking (if companies know about it).
    Hope that helps... last bit of advice - as I always give - know your schools... there are some I wouldn’t want my mother in law working in... and others that are genuinely world class.

motorhomer, Mr_Frosty and msmillreef like this.
  3. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Looks like some ME countries are imposing a 50 year age limit, here in China its a under 60 target.

Also the ME is still in the 6th century when it come to women's rights, in dome ME countries you may not be able to sponsor your husband unless your school needs you.

Nor sure where all these young teachers will be coming from.

4. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

Its easy febster: Canada, the US, UK, Australia, South Africa and NZ; so many anglophone countries with lousy education systems that don't value teachers, add to that some serious behavioural issues and voila! As a recuiter I never found it difficult to find teachers - just good ones!

5. msmillreef

msmillreef New commenter

very helpful, many thanks.

6. PuRe

PuRe Occasional commenter

You will be classed as too old for Qatar

7. krakowiak6

krakowiak6 Occasional commenter

8. Alice K

Alice K Occasional commenter

Worked in Qatar from 2011-2014 at a non profit school. I got a job initially and my husband got a teaching job in the same school after 1 year. I was 57 when I went, my husband was just over 60. It was our intention to do just a few years there.
    School was well resourced. Pupils were fine apart from the school's insistence that they could achieve the standard of native speakers in a relatively short time.
    Overall, financially, it was good but culturally challenging even though my husband is originally from the Middle East. Would not consider teaching in a 'for profit' school. We met many teachers there who had bad experiences.

9. february31st

Looking like Logan's Run, anybody aged 29 better start looking for the exit.

10. msmillreef

msmillreef New commenter

Can you still work if you're over 50 now? I did look at Qatar but one of the adverts said you need to be below 50 for government reasons. Thanks for your reply by the way.

11. krakowiak6

krakowiak6 Occasional commenter

Can not work in Qatar now after 50. They seem to like
    [This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions] ABC teachers in Qatar these days.

Why do you want to go to Qatar or the ME anyway if you are in HK?

12. rama6363

rama6363 New commenter

Hi. I'm a head of physics here in the UAE.

I'm 57.

msmillreef and Mr_Frosty like this.
  13. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Established commenter

I'm a relative oldie in the UAE and know many people teaching here aged 45-58 ish. I don't think it would be an issue here, maybe in some of the 'cheaper' schools but I think you'd be considered at a lot of places - whether you'd want to work in some of them is a different matter.

msmillreef likes this.
  14. SunsetBeach

SunsetBeach New commenter

As far as I am aware the UAE (or some specific emirates) requires your degree subject to match your subject teaching area. You may wish to clarify this.

Mr_Frosty likes this.
  15. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Established commenter

True, but i know 3 teachers who don't have matching degrees and subjects here in Abu Dhabi and they are working - but possibly the exception rather than the rule.

msmillreef likes this.
  16. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

The legal age limit for a visa in Qatar was 60. Has it changed, or are schools just saying 50 for their own reasons?
    Our school used to hire only those aged 57 and below, as it made little sense to bring someone in who would be forced to leave after only one contract. But setting that bar at 50 seems ridiculous to me.

17. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

msmillreef likes this.
  18. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

Don't be put off, yes, official government websites say there is a cut off point, and yes, we have all seen colleagues thrown on the scrap heap when they turn a certain age. However, my own experience is that if the school wants you badly enough they can often make a case for you to be employed. Apply and see what happens, what have you got to lose?

msmillreef likes this.
  19. february31st

No age limit for A level maths, physics and computer science teachers.

20. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

Google (dated March 2019) vs still living + working here and seeing the actual directive in May 2019...

For new employment centering the focus on teaching in schools..... It is 50 in QA unless as stated before; you are summoned by someone who is highly ranked or the school has the backing of, you can be 86+.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019