1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Am I too expensive?!

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Strick1982, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Strick1982

Strick1982 New commenter

Hi

I'm applying for new jobs an have just seen one which advertises that it is 'MPS'.

As I have just gone up to UPS3, is it worth applying or am I too expensive?!

Thanks for any advice

Claire

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Two points.

In the past, when UPS3 existed, MPS included UPS, so no problem. If it wasn't to be included, it said Up to MPS6

Secondly, there is now no pay portability, so they will offer you what they want, or at least what they think they have to pay someone to take the job.

No more Pay Portability, no more pay scale, no more automatic moving up the scale.

If you will only accept Upper Range, you had better ask them before you apply.

Best wishes

3. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

er, just a bit. In this day and age they can get a young teacher (or something approaching a teacher) and pay them peanuts.

I wouldn't waste my time if I were you. Definitely ask before you fill in an application form or go for an interview.

4. John_in_Luton

John_in_Luton Occasional commenter

This may be true in some parts of the country, though not in any area I've worked in. Schools simply look for the best teacher to put in front of their classes, be they young, old, cheap, experienced, or even a little green Martian. And in the London / SE area, experienced teachers are hard to come by so we tend to expect that ads will attract mostly NQT responses. Whenever an experienced teacher comes the way of my schools, it triggers an immediate feeding frenzy among the heads who fall over each other trying to get to them first and recruit them.

The reference to MPS is probably just carelessness in drafting the ad. However, if you are in one of those parts of the country where the shortage of teachers is not quite so acute (the north, the south west) you might want to give them a ring just to double check.

DYNAMO67 likes this.
  5. Strick1982

Strick1982 New commenter

Thank you.

I'm teaching in Leeds at the mo, but applying for jobs in Lancaster to be nearer family.

Hope that my 10 years in teaching is something the schools regard as an asset rather than pinching the pennies!

I'll ring them after the hols and mention it.

Thanks

Claire

6. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

1) It is certainly an asset, but experience doesn't always mean better .You have to think about what extra you can offer. Ten years of experience is good, yes, but alone that will not always get you the UPS that you want. Especially that if say, someone with 5 years' experience applies. They also have significant experience but will save a school 10k if they are also employable. If you were to say that you are happy to coach other staff, or that you are happy to contribute to another T&L project, they are more likely to want you.

2) Lancaster is a tricky one as well. Not a great deal of jobs round there. What is your subject?

7. Strick1982

Strick1982 New commenter

Thanks. I'm an English teacher. Currently I have a TLR (2a) to lead intervention for pupil premium in English.

I feel I have a lot to offer and would happily be involved in teaching and learning projects.

Presumably if I go for a TLR role, my experience will work in my favour. Again, I understand that someone who has been teaching 5 years could be more than capable, but I just need to convince a school that I'm worth it (I am!) ;)

Wish me luck, everyone.

Claire

8. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

good luck. Hope it works out for you.

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I wish you luck, but get the luck on your side by reading all the applications advice articles - ask on Jobseekers if you don't know where to find them

Best wishes

10. splinters

splinters Established commenter

After 22 years in teaching I decided to leave an unchallenging position as head of faculty to seek a new challenge. I landed a terms cover while I plan my next move and, as an experienced subject leader and moderator, they are very grateful for advice I am able to give and appreciate the subject is in 'safe hands'. They would like to keep me on for the remainder of the school year (their words) but have cited that I am too expensive.
    So it seems nothing is different from other walks of life; wanting the best they can get but wanting to pay as little as possible.

Scintillant likes this.