1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Am I the only person who didn't enjoy "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo"

Discussion in 'Book club' started by lindenlea, Jun 16, 2011.

1. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I've just finished this and it was a struggle. The technical detail was turgid, the violence was vile, the characters did not engage my interest. It is perhaps the only thriller I've read but after all the hype I did expect it to be a page turner and it just wasn't for me. Best read recently was Margaret Attwood's "Cat's Eye" - every teacher of girls should read it ( theme of the short / long term effects of bullying).

2. No. I didn't enjoy it either, but was recommended it by my in-laws so had to persevere.

3. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

I did enjoy it -but I borrowed it from a hotel when I was on holiday a couple of years ago and had run out of books. I'd never heard of it and 90% of the books I borrow from hotels and hostels are pretty awful, so I had very low expectations.
    That might have been partly why I enjoyed it so much. If I'd read it more recently, after all the hype, I might have felt a bit let down by it.

4. karentee

karentee New commenter

I hated it, I usually persevere in the hope something good might happen but I gave up on this book quite early on, just couldn't get into it at all

5. I wasn't too taken with it either. However I was warned that there are huge chunks of the book that do nothing for the overall story so I did continue.

6. It's not the kind of thing I usually read either, but I did quite enjoy it. Apart from some of the violence, which I thought was unnecessarily detailed and I found quite uncomfortable. Some of the political background was quite dull too, but overall it was a good read - and I went on to read the sequels too.

7. san38

san38 New commenter

you're not alone! dull, dull, dull

8. impis

impis New commenter

I didn't like it either and gave up after the first few pages.