1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Am I the only one?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by David Getling, Aug 29, 2018.

1. silversnapdragon

silversnapdragon New commenter

I have one year 13 who needs to resit GCSE Maths

2. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

I think you nave missed the point. Under the new A level C1, C2 etc. no longer exist.

Becca is saying the year 12s doing the new A level for the first time are still being taught in a similar way to the old A level and are then unprepared for the new harder exams.

I expect what will happen is the grade boundaries at A level will be lowered as they have been at GCSE.

becca3471 likes this.
  3. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

This is Becca's opinion, I can't speak for all teachers, but I don't see any evidence that teachers don't know how the content of the new syllabus is different and are just teaching the same way. I'd be worried, as M1 is cut in half and S1 is now totally different, including a Large Data Set. Are tutors fully up to speed on this?

Is that a local thing you have been informed about? There is no national agreement, and a lot of schools including mine continue with the 6+ entry requirement.

Another worrying comment. We already have grade boundaries for AS and A Level on the new syllabus - they happened this summer. No need to expect anything.
    The boundaries are different in that there is a single total rather than modules, so it is difficult to compare. But a student who did the old A Level in June (C1-4/M1/S1 Edexcel) would have needed around 352/450 = 78% to get an A. On the new syllabus they would have needed 184/300 = 61%. So it is a dramatic change but on a very different exam.

4. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

I'm not sure why this is a worrying comment. A discussion on the maths forum suggested people were thinking of using the grade boundaries based on the old A level for the new specification mock exams.
    https://community.tes.com/threads/edexcel-specimen-as-grade-boundaries.775558/

This may have caused unnecessary concern, which is what Becca seems to have found, as the old grade boundaries are probably not appropriate.

5. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

The main point of my post was that teselectronic seemed to be unaware of the new A level.

6. becca3471

becca3471 New commenter

Reading back my comment came across as quite sweeping - unintentionally. I meant of the 5 Year 12 into 13 students I’ve picked up over the summer, this seems to be the recurring theme - two of them had been provided with old textbooks as the course books, for example - but all had done either the AS or the SAMS paper as their end of year exam. This was also the case with the parallel Year 12 Pure teacher to me at school.

7. Kateray1

Kateray1 Occasional commenter

Hi David

My lessons are up by an extra 6 compared to the two previous months July August this year.

8. sabram86

sabram86 Occasional commenter

It's been a funny month for me. Plenty of interest and people buying my details but followed by disorganised or fickle parents/students.

I think parents are more anxious than in the past, even at earlier stages of education, but they are very concerned about letting their kids settle in, rather than get to grips with the school work.

What strikes me most is that you can be an excellent tutor, get good results, be well-organised and make the lesson enjoyable (at a decent price too) and it's not enough. Crazy world.

Mrsmumbles and Kateray1 like this.
  9. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

Sabram, from what I can gather, most schools are doing mock AS exams right now, which they will use to give university predictions. This has flushed out a lot of lazy and stupid students who are looking for a tutor who, in just one session, will wave their magic wand and get them a good grade a few days later.

I'm not joking. I've had a couple like this myself in the last few weeks. As I'm only interested in dedicated serious students, I'm glad to see the back of these waste of spacers, and their indulgent parents.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  10. teselectronic

teselectronic Occasional commenter

It would be interesting to compare the outcomes at A - level, with pupils' ,who achieve level 6 and 7 at GCSE. Sorry, if I've caused any concern with the minimum 7 grade, I must have heard individuals quote this figure.

11. sabram86

sabram86 Occasional commenter

GCSEs and A-levels are distant relations, despite sharing the same (subject) name.

If I were an educrat (gods and the furies forbid), I would insist anyone studying a hard subject (maths, languages, hard sciences, etc) have a grade 7 in that subject to help ensure they had a decent standard. I would also insist on grade 6 in maths and English.

Thankfully, I am not. The problem is often lazy students and shambolic schools.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  12. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I hope I am - it has taken some time, and I think there is more to do. Had to learn how to use the new calculator to start with! I have yet to tutor anybody about the large data set, so that will be an interesting challenge.

13. Ian1983

Ian1983 Occasional commenter

Re large data sets, no I wouldn't say I am fully up to speed and I need to change that this week!

Could any of you A-Level maths people recommend any good resources on this topic? My go-to website Examsolutions doesn't seem to have it yet and I'm struggling to find a decent bank of questions anywhere

14. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

If you have an Emporium login for Edexcel, you will find lots of support material in the new A Level filing cabinet.
    You can also find the material on the Pearson website at https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-a-levels/mathematics-2017.coursematerials.html#filterQuery=Pearson-UK:Category/Teaching-and-learning-materials and doing a search for Data
    There are no specific files collating all the LDS questions so far, but you can also use DrFrostMaths and MEI website to get more videos and powerpoints for introducing the ideas

15. Ian1983

Ian1983 Occasional commenter

Thanks, appreciated

16. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

I’ve had three A level kids who each expect me to have intimate and profound knowledge on their respective set texts, so, six in total! Oh, and help them plan their coursework. I’m seeing a real drop off in the quality of teaching, too. All the students’ first drafts are a joke. English A level teachers: close mark the first drafts around the exam board assessment objectives, and check each kid’s s.p.a.g! Grrrrr.

17. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

I offer you a shiny and luminescent gold star for your word ‘educrat’...fantastic!