1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Am I the only NQT in the country on M4?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Gleeful, Jun 21, 2011.

1. I started a job as an NQT last September, on M3 and left after 2 terms. In September I will automatically move to M4 but I will still be an NQT.
    I think I'm too expensive. Which HT in their right mind would employ an NQT on £27k a year when they can have an NQT for £21k?
    There is no way I can move down the pay scale (I assume) even though I would be willing to accept M1/2 for the right job.
    I am getting interviews and good feedback but the jobs are going to NQT's who aremuch cheaper.
    Is anyone else in the same boat and if so, how are you getting on?

2. I started a job as an NQT last September, on M3 and left after 2 terms. In September I will automatically move to M4 but I will still be an NQT.
    I think I'm too expensive. Which HT in their right mind would employ an NQT on £27k a year when they can have an NQT for £21k?
    There is no way I can move down the pay scale (I assume) even though I would be willing to accept M1/2 for the right job.
    I am getting interviews and good feedback but the jobs are going to NQT's who aremuch cheaper.
    Is anyone else in the same boat and if so, how are you getting on?

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Unfortunately it is too late now to think about this. Starting on M3 last Sept. on a temporary post would have been your mistake, but not a lot you can do now.

Keep applying, especially to larger, less desirable schools and you will get a post eventually.

4. It was not a temporary post. I was given that starting wage because it reflected the responsibilities of the post. However, I bit off more than I could chew and therefore left to save my sanity.
    I am only applying to good schools, I refuse to work in anything less now. I am able to offer more than the average NQT as I have proven teaching experience of two subjects, primary liaison, running my own department etc. but this is obviously irrelevant when I am applying just to teach one subject.
    I'm also applying for posts outside of teaching, so hopefully I will hit the jackpot soon.
    It's just frustrating.

5. I started my NQT year on M3

6. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

I wouldn't be so sure that it's the cost, if you're getting interviews. Although you have teaching experience, you have left a post early and presumably have a gap in your CV. You might look a bit risky to schools who would prefer a keen NQT with no history. If you're only applying to schools who can pick and choose, you're severely reducing your chances.

Don't discount 'poor schools'. Improving schools can be good places to work if you are in a department with people you like and work well with, and management is on your side. At least look round the school before you decide not to apply. I know people who have been miserable in 'good' schools because there's so much pressure, or they haven't got on with colleagues.

7. I started my NQT year (a two term temporary contract) on M3. I didn't actually know this until my pay cheque came through, and it turned out that all the staff I had talked to were paid around two spine points above what they would normally be on. I assume this was due to it being a challenging school and they wanted to keep their staff. No one really talked about it! After I finished there I gained a permanent post in an independent school, again on M3 without any problem. Nearly all of the application forms I have filled in don't actually ask for your salary, not sure if it has to be given in the reference. I'd post this in the pay and conditions forum, see what they say.

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

This does say a lot about the school involved actually. If you were an NQT you should have had no responsibilities other than teaching your class/es. You also should not have been placed further up the pay scale due to responsibilities, that is not what the payscale is for. Unfortunately for you, the school does not suffer because of this, but, as you are finding, you do.

You may have experience of teaching two subjects, primary liaison and running a department but it isn't proven that you were successful. If you left, having found it too much, it doesn't look good, even if totally understandable as an NQT.

Narrowing your search to just good school, that can easily pick and choose will make your jobsearch harder.

I wish you luck, but would seriously suggest you apply to less good schools for now and once in post with a successful record, apply then to good schools.