1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Am I the first teacher doing this?!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by spinitsi, May 18, 2016.

1. spinitsi

spinitsi New commenter

In the past I have run a number of blogs and small websites for my year 2 and 3 classes that have had some success but this year I thought I would try vlogging. The format had to be easy for me and workable as follows,

Hosted by YouTube, videos are embedded on my own blog because no one would ever find them on YouTube.

I post daily and include a summary of the day and a quiz question as well as sometimes included things children have requested.

I wanted to keep parents informed and help out when children go home and say they have done nothing in school! I can also clarify methods for homework and give parents dorm advice on helping too.

I load up at lunchtimes and all in takes me about 10 mins.

The response has been phenomenal and I really want to know where to go next, I have some ideas but I just don't think anyone else is doing vlogging in this way. Videos of different types, mostly of smart boards perhaps, but I can't find anything like mine.

Happy to talk more about it, I'm interested to know what others think.

Go to:

www.witttv.tumblr.com

Or search my channel Witt TV on YouTube

Thanks, spinitsi

2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I'm aware of vlogs but not watched very many. (retired, lazy) and my first thought was that this is fabulous. Great fun, very useful and I guess the children love it. My second thought was that you were giving EVEN MORE of your life away than is usual and the usual commitment of primary teachers is already massive. You're raising the bar you know! Do you really want to do this every day? Anyway, other people will have more professional comments no doubt. Good luck!

3. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

i would not do that at lunch time out of respect for our colleagues who went on strike to earn us the right to a lunch break.

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Why do you need to go anywhere next?
    Why not keep it how it is if it does the job you want it to?

5. MissHoney123abc

MissHoney123abc New commenter

This is such a great idea!

I used to do blogging with my children, where parents and other students logged on and commented on our classwork.
    It was amazing for developing ICT skills as well as allowing parents and staff a real-time update of the learning that was happening in our class.

My favourite blog was during our pirate topic, where my students would write to "Captain Hook" (me!), ask questions and he would in return give them challenges - researching pirate ships online, typing questions etc.

Good luck and what a great idea again!

6. MrsRWitter

MrsRWitter New commenter

Sounds like a great idea. Insure lots of parents wish they had a better idea did what their children got up to. I've not seen any vlogs exactly like that before. One to try I think!
    I choose to work during my lunch times and don't feel it is disrespectful, it's my time and means I can leave at a reasonable time to have time with my family. Many of my colleagues also work over lunch.

7. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

We use Seesaw at school. A lot of photos and videos instantly uploaded. It's also nice because you can make it individualised for each child.

8. mamendolara

mamendolara New commenter

It's gorgeous ! A way to keep in touch with pupils, and parents as well...Congratulations, for your techno ability, and above all for the passion you have for your job ! Passion is never too much!!!

9. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

I think you've worn a tie more in a week than I have since I started teaching.

10. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I think I own a tie. I'm not sure where it is, though.

11. berecs

berecs New commenter

I really like this idea. I currently update the school's website but vlogging seems like it would get pupils more involved. Great to let them experiment with ever changing technology too!