1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Am I suitable?

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by Coventrymiss, May 2, 2011.

1. Coventrymiss

Coventrymiss New commenter

I'd really welcome people's opinions on this as there's not anyone I can really discuss this with at school ...
    Been teaching 10 years, 5 years of which in departmental roles (2 yrs Deputy head of a dept. of 18 staff; 1 yr as Head of a single language and 2 yrs as Head of MFL) and worked in 4 very different schools during this time. I'm 36 and looking to move into an assistant head position. It didn't look as though the type of job I wanted would come up this year but now something has. The responsibility is in teaching and learning, which I'm studying for a Masters in. Its a bit late in the school year but I don't want to miss this opportunity.
    Having never applied for an assistant headship before, would I be a suitable candidate? I am concerned that my HoD role might be seen to be too short in length, also that of the 2 languages I teach, this school only offers one, with their other main language being German (which I have no knowledge of)
    My other question is about the interview process (assuming I'm shortlisted!) It states that this will take place over 2 days. What type of activities / interviews / lessons would I be expected to undertake?
    Thanks for any advice / feedback, especially if you've been through the process recently!

CM

2. Coventrymiss

I'd really welcome people's opinions on this as there's not anyone I can really discuss this with at school ...
    Been teaching 10 years, 5 years of which in departmental roles (2 yrs Deputy head of a dept. of 18 staff; 1 yr as Head of a single language and 2 yrs as Head of MFL) and worked in 4 very different schools during this time. I'm 36 and looking to move into an assistant head position. It didn't look as though the type of job I wanted would come up this year but now something has. The responsibility is in teaching and learning, which I'm studying for a Masters in. Its a bit late in the school year but I don't want to miss this opportunity.
    Having never applied for an assistant headship before, would I be a suitable candidate? I am concerned that my HoD role might be seen to be too short in length, also that of the 2 languages I teach, this school only offers one, with their other main language being German (which I have no knowledge of)
    My other question is about the interview process (assuming I'm shortlisted!) It states that this will take place over 2 days. What type of activities / interviews / lessons would I be expected to undertake?
    Thanks for any advice / feedback, especially if you've been through the process recently!

CM

3. I would say yes, you are definitely suitable. I had only been HOD of a small department for 3 years when I was promoted to AHT. It all depends on the impact you've had as a HOD rather than the time you've been doing it.

As for the 2 days, they take a variety of forms. Normally you teach, have a couple of interviews and maybe an in-tray exercise on day 1. If you make it through to day 2, its normally a longer interview plus a presentation.

I've also been asked to lead a round table discussion in the past and once asked to teach a PSHE lesson on gender equality, but I think that is quite rare.

Good luck

4. Coventrymiss

Thank you for that. Would you mind explaining what you mean by an in-tray exercise. Is this some kind of role-play?

5. Sometimes you can be asked to do a role play. I was once - asked to discuss the difficulties a teacher was having with a year 9 after a disastrous observation. The drama teacher played the 'teacher.'
    The intray can be a set of incidents/ occurences which you have to rank order and discuss how you would manage or it can be an analysis of data with recommendations about what you find as a result.
    The thing is - you will never know unless you go for it! Good luck.

6. weezadance1

weezadance1 New commenter

You sound very suitable for the role, and I hope you are successful.
    When I was interviewed for my AHT post my interview was 2 days, too. On one day we had to do some in-tray activities e.g. analyse some data, respond to a letter from a parent, prioritise a set of tasks etc. We were also divided into groups and had to lead and manage discussions selected at random whilst being observed doing so!
    On day 2 (after further short lisiting) we had formal interviews and "informal" interviews.
    We also had a pupil panel interview with School Council and gave a brief presentation to a group of governors on a topic sent to us a week or so before interview.
    The areas for which we needed to do a great deal of prep. were included when we received our letters for interview.
    Day 1 = 12 people were invited to and this was cut to 6 for Day 2.
    Hope that helps.
    Good luck