1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Am I stuck in difficult schools now?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by TheoGriff, Feb 22, 2012.

1. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, that is always pretty difficult, so we send our commiserations there - and have a quick look at the Flowers thread . . . click here. It's a bit corny, but comes with our very best wishes.
    Just think about this.
    If it was your lack of A-level experience - then why did they shortlist you in the first place, since they knew that from your application? So this is just an example of "Let's think of somerthing to say if she asks for feedback".
    Because feedback quite often is not very helpful, and this is a perfect example. You need not feel that another school will turn you down for the same reason after interview.
    This school read your application, saw your experience, and still shortlisted you - so you have got oodles to offer this type of school.
    Appointments are sometimes like falling in love. You just click with a candidate, and it is difficult to say why. There may be 3 candidates who perform equally well, have the same skills and experience, but you just click with one. This makes it very hard to give useful feedback to the others: "We sort of fell in love, can't explain why . . .)
    [​IMG]
    So see this failed application as very much a more than half-way success: they were impressed by your application, they were impressed by your performance at education.
    So perhaps you could consider an independent school . . . have you ever glanced at those ads? Set up a JobSearch here on the TES for indy schools in your subject area. And go to the Indy Forum, open the Welcome thread and read the general advice in the clickables there.
    Oh, and I nearly forgot: as well as the flowers you get the TheoGriff evening of consoling yourself equipment:
    [​IMG]
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th, and also the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com
    www.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com

2. Thank you so much for your kind words Theo. Your advice is spot on, they could see from my application that my A level experience was woeful. I did wonder at the time why they had interviewed me already knowing that.
    There was an applicant who already taught at the school.
    Helps me put things in perspective. Many thanks.

3. Thank you. I honestly believe I am an effective teacher, and my results testify to that. I just feel like having rough schools on your CV is like saying you have AIDS on a dating site. I might just have grown a big fat chip on my shoulder about it of course. Its just how it feels at the moment.

4. I would say that the experience of teaching in tough comprehensive schools can often make you a better teacher; if you can teach in that environment then you can teach anywhere. I have taught most of my career in grammar schools, and comprehensive schools wouldn't touch me with a barge pole if I applied for a job because I lack the experience needed in that type of environment. Is there anyway you could get experience of teaching A level? What about private tuition? At least that would be a start Why not try and get hold of some SOW and just really study them so that you can talk about them at an interview if asked the question 'What does an outstanding AS lesson look like?'