1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

am I sick? Stressed? Incompetent?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Jadeylou121, Oct 16, 2018.

1. Jadeylou121

Jadeylou121 New commenter

Hi,
    Just looking for a safe space to air out my concerns and look for advice.
    I’m in my third year teaching however this year I have moved schools and year groups and Home, it’s been hard but I wouldn’t say I’m stressed out.
    Last week whilst waiting to deliver in assembly I felt like I was getting hotter and hotter and ended up running out sweating and shaking, I was sent home assuming I had one of the many bugs around school.
    Monday I returned and have been having dizzy spells throughout the afternoon nothing too bad just uncomfortable (I have had a plugged ear since July and have experienced vertigo with it before - still waiting on a referral to ENT)
    However today just before a meeting the dizzy returned and I had to leave school again.
    I went straight to docs who didn’t say what’s he believed was wrong with me just brought up my previous ear problems and prescribed me with anti dizziness tablets.

I’ve brought myself to tears all night. I haven’t taken a day off sick in 2 years and now I can’t understand what is wrong with me. Is this stress? Am I getting overly anxious before I have to do things?

As I said previously I don’t feel stressed but people are now asking me if I’m nervous when I have mentioned feeling the way I do.

2. SweetDee42

SweetDee42 New commenter

Hi. I'm no expert; am only speaking from my experience - currently signed off with anxiety and stress. I've been in stressful situations before- Ofsted, special measures, SATs, etc - but these haven't been anything like my experience of stress as a condition. No one big thing triggered it and things are pretty quiet at work at the moment. But I found myself with terrible insomnia, constant feelings of panic/adrenaline/nausea, acting out of character (snappy/shouty), heart racing and other symptoms. I was surprised at how bad the GP felt it had got and how urgently she felt I should get away from school; despite the physical manifestations, I was doubting and second-guessing myself even on my own body and mind. I recommend seeing your GP. Let them listen to your symptoms and feelings and make a judgment. If you think it's stress, you're probably right?

gold19951 likes this.
  3. lynneseptember

lynneseptember Senior commenter

It sounds as if you could do with visiting your gp again. If you don't feel too confident about seeing the same gp, perhaps there's another one in the practice you could speak to.
    Write down how you are feeling if you feel this will help, and let the gp read it - use the contents of your post, perhaps in bullet points. ( I did this when I saw my gp as I was so wound up and tearful).
    I'm no expert, but it does sound as if you are in a stressful situation - you've done a lot in a short time frame: moved home, changed school and changed year groups - all potential stressors by themselves, let alone together! Good luck, and keep posting here if it helps you. :)

gold19951 and forthejoyofit like this.
  4. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

why isn't it just vertigo?

Dyathinkhesaurus, gold19951 and lrw22 like this.
  5. lrw22

lrw22 Senior commenter

Like Dunnock says I wouldn't discount it being an issue with your ear or a bug or virus.

gold19951 likes this.
  6. gold19951

gold19951 Occasional commenter

I was thinking it sounds similar to vertigo. GP should be able to advise whether it’s stress or vertigo. Stress can manifest itself in strange ways though.

Moony likes this.
  7. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

I don’t know much about vertigo however those things can all be symptoms of stress/anxiety. Keep an eye on how you feel, watch your confidence levels, are you happy going out or are you getting withdrawn, keep an eye on your eating habits.