1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Am I right to be upset?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Gila, Mar 18, 2012.

1. I've started my new job last week, several weeks early as the baby arrived much sooner than expected. I love my new class and feel I fit in well with the school generally. The contract was for terms 5 and 6 originally, and I was told the reason it wasn't longer was reorganisation of staffing in the summer, although secretly I thought maybe they wanted to check me out first and hoped there might be a chance of continuing after the summer. It turns out this is now my third maternity leave job without a prospect of it continuing - bad luck or what?! I have found out that the teacher I've replaced will return next year and then jobshare with another teacher at the school, who is currently full time. This means a full time and permanent job has become available, was advertised recently and the deadline is gone. Nobody at any point had mentioned this position to me, not at the interview or since then, and I didn't see the ad - mind you even if I had I would have been confused as to whether I should apply, as nobody had mentioned it to me. I'm feeling upset at the situation - why was the position not mentioned to me? Why am I 'good enough' for a short contract, but not for a 'proper' job? Why did they not give me a chance and wait to see how I'm doing before advertising? Am I being too sensitive, thinking they want somebody younger than me? What do you think?

2. I've started my new job last week, several weeks early as the baby arrived much sooner than expected. I love my new class and feel I fit in well with the school generally. The contract was for terms 5 and 6 originally, and I was told the reason it wasn't longer was reorganisation of staffing in the summer, although secretly I thought maybe they wanted to check me out first and hoped there might be a chance of continuing after the summer. It turns out this is now my third maternity leave job without a prospect of it continuing - bad luck or what?! I have found out that the teacher I've replaced will return next year and then jobshare with another teacher at the school, who is currently full time. This means a full time and permanent job has become available, was advertised recently and the deadline is gone. Nobody at any point had mentioned this position to me, not at the interview or since then, and I didn't see the ad - mind you even if I had I would have been confused as to whether I should apply, as nobody had mentioned it to me. I'm feeling upset at the situation - why was the position not mentioned to me? Why am I 'good enough' for a short contract, but not for a 'proper' job? Why did they not give me a chance and wait to see how I'm doing before advertising? Am I being too sensitive, thinking they want somebody younger than me? What do you think?

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I think I fell into this trap in the past, of assuming that people know you're interested in work and would give you a heads up on any adverts, but found this not to be the case. One is expected to keep an 'eagle-eye' out for adverts just as any other person, so it may be you have indeed lost out. So next time keep tabs on the LA/school websites for posts. One time in the past a post was advertised on the staffroom notice board and when I was in on supply, no-one had bothered to point it out to me and the day I saw it the closing date was the day before! Did kick myself about that!
    So like you I have in the past felt 'good enough for supply but not good enough for a temp/permanent post', yet when I did apply through the proper channels, I did get and interview and got a post-albeit a temporary one, which led to 2 further temporary posts for long-term sick colleagues.
    I think you have to view this as a 'lesson learned for the future'.

4. thanks Lara - but I think they knew I'm interested in work, as I applied for the temporary job, was interviewed, and clearly delighted with getting it. But I take your point. The reason I haven't really been looking at the moment is that I need their reference to apply with, and I was only going to start mid April, so I couldn't really apply anywhere. I think I will try and not be negative about it all and just give it my best... but in the context I still feel they might have mentioned it to me at the interview or on appointment.