1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Am i right?....If not then it's back to the drawing board

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by twigtwig, Apr 10, 2017.

1. twigtwig

twigtwig New commenter

Hello

After being a teacher in the UK system for well over a decade, i now find myself teaching in North America. Here, they seem to use hardly any formative assessment, everything the kids do is graded and added to the grade book. This is all used to work out their percentage at the end of each semester.

I have always used summative assessment at the end of each unit/half term and used a range of formative assessments in class and as homework. Some kids here have over 80 assessment grades in the grade book so far this year!

Am i going crazy or is the system here outdated?

Thanks.

2. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

I didn't work in America but I did work in an American school in Europe - above sounds very similar, though they would have one week of exams in Summer, from Grade 6 upwards.

3. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

I guess the American system has advantages and disadvantages. Making every piece of work count towards the final assessment increases the perceived value of each piece of work. That said, it puts much more pressure on the teacher on the marking side

4. twigtwig

twigtwig New commenter

To be honest the marking is very quick as the majority of the tests are multiple choice or short answer! That topic is for another day. The problem can be, that because there are so many (tests/quizzes) the amount each one counts is watered down, so if a student doesn't do well they know it doesn't change their overall grade much and they will have another one next week. If anything it makes the perceived value of each piece of work less.