1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Am I really poisoning him?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Zeitgeister, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Some opinions, please, ladies and gentlemen!
    Backdrop: visitors (his relatives) coming tomorrow, house still a terrible mess, shopping still to do, had gone to work in the morning then starting tackling the house. Mr Zeitgeister wants fed. I search the frigo and find two leftover meals and pop them in the oven.
    Ok, one is four days old (lovely stew with spuds and stuff, he really liked it on Tuesday). He goes all grumpy and starts cooking, which he normally not really does. Eats his stuff (daughter had duly eaten the slightly fresher left-over meatballs and pasta.) All the work he was supposed to do will be left to me, including cleaning up the terrible mess around the cooker.
    Is it really bad to eat stuff that has spent 4 days in the fridge? His family used to throw stuff out well before the best before, just in case. My family used to eat really old dodgy stuff just because they couldn't throw anything out.
    Where do you draw the line between being thrifty and cautious?
    Just in case you wonder: I do not want to poison him...

2. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

Interested to know, how does Mr. Z feel today??? I use the sniff test to work out whether to throw out food... haven't poisoned anyone yet...

3. mr z still alive, did not eat my recycled dinner and i resisted killing him. he must have taken my my anger seriously as he was asking if he should get some take-away for when his mum comes.... so they is hope for us. i will have to keep picking the best befores off oldish stuff, I think.

4. No hope for my spelling though (too stupid for my smart phone)