1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Am I racist or simply recovering from a year in China.

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by snitzelvonkrumm, Jul 12, 2018.

1. snitzelvonkrumm

snitzelvonkrumm Occasional commenter

Apart from the school experience, I found China to be beyond fascinating, and its people to be humble, warm and friendly once a relationship is established.
    Now that I am back in the UK I do hear the occasional flashback. That guttural, throaty, hacking exorcism of flehm seems to be haunting me. Each time I turn to see who was responsible, I find a mature Chinese man, who seems oblivious to my stare of indignation. Having only just tolerated this habit in China I feel within my rights to do my part to stamp out its importation to my home country.
    Does anyone else have the same reaction? How should I react? I would like to block it out and accept but that does not seem possible. I usually simply turn my head and stare with obvious disapproval. I wish my Mandarin was better, as it would not seem so potentially racist to say something.

2. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Occasional commenter

I don't think it's racism unless you'd be less bothered by anyone who wasn't of Chinese heritage doing it, which seems unlikely. It seems way less acceptable back home, but spitting seemed much more common in the UK in the late 70s when I was a kid.

One of the things I disliked about Korea was the spitting etc. even though it can be somewhat understandable when you're out in the yellow dust for a while. I don't think there's much you can do, maybe just wear earphones and listen to music so you don't hear it and can carry on unaware.

snitzelvonkrumm likes this.
  3. SPC2

SPC2 Occasional commenter

Could it be a class, as opposed to a 'race', thing?

The Chinese traveller is often nouveau riche, old money in China generally having made a run for it or been 'Mao'd'. The type can be from any nation and - warning: sweeping generalisation inbound! - often less than considerate of those around them, glorying in an exaggerated self esteem.

In the case of the Chinese variety of this breed, could this be shown by expectorating great big dockers' omelettes all around them? Even Hong Kong residents, not known for their delicate sensibilities and dainty manners, used to complain about how rude and uncouth their visiting 'Mainlander' bretheren could be.

Not judging you, btw. I'm on my annual UK visit and fighting down my own snobbery due to the fact I don't have **** tats on display and go lobster red in the sun...

Mr_Frosty and snitzelvonkrumm like this.
  4. agbak

agbak New commenter

I'm still recovering by not putting toilet tissue down the toilet...:oops::oops::oops:

5. rideemcowboy

rideemcowboy New commenter

Is there a widespread chronic health problem in China? Is that why their quality and quantity is so prolific?
    Is it the desire/ belief to rid themselves of germs - better out than in.
    There are times when we all need to clear our throat, but most are aware that we do so in a manner does not to offend.
    It is certainly more a class issue than racist. It surely can not be considered a cultural difference that we need to be understanding of.

6. SPC2

SPC2 Occasional commenter

7. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Dunno-I'm wondering if it's sexist to think some of the reaction to Henry Cavill's tweets are OTT...