1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Am I qualified enough for AH role??

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by fitzneal, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I'm currently in a post until July. At the current time I'm a class teacher. However, previously I have been KS2 (1 year - Jan 10-Dec 11) and Healthy Schools Leader (2 years) and Maths Leader (2 years). I've predominantely worked in KS2 but have done supply in all year groups and had close links helping plan etc... in KS1. Total teaching years = 7 years.
    I've recently moved county, hence the class teacher only role.
    I've been looking at an Assistant Head job...
    Am I qualified enough to apply, or would they laugh my application out of the window?

2. Hi,
    I'm currently in a post until July. At the current time I'm a class teacher. However, previously I have been KS2 (1 year - Jan 10-Dec 11) and Healthy Schools Leader (2 years) and Maths Leader (2 years). I've predominantely worked in KS2 but have done supply in all year groups and had close links helping plan etc... in KS1. Total teaching years = 7 years.
    I've recently moved county, hence the class teacher only role.
    I've been looking at an Assistant Head job...
    Am I qualified enough to apply, or would they laugh my application out of the window?

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I shall start this response with a warning: if anyoner uses the 'now banned by order of me' phrase 'Go for it!', I shall hunt them down and slap them until they are truly sorry.
    Right. In terms of 'qualified', AHT posts in primary don't tend to come with a prescribed 'you must have done this list of things' job spec - they're usually looking for a good range of experience but mostly - in my opinion - someone who is what they'd call in business a 'selfstarter', i.e. with the skills necessary to work without a lot of direction or support. I'd say you've got some decent, varied experience - but selling yourself for this job is about how you show that you've got what it takes to lead staff well, take on initiatives - including ones you've started up yourself - and develop them properly, support other teachers but also have the courage and leadership to recognise poor practice and deal with it apppropriately.
    So - I can see no reason why you aren't well enough qualified to apply - but think a lot before writing your application about the skills and qualities you can offer that might just set you above other candidates, especially those who might have more teaching experience than you.
    Good luck with it - let me know how you get on, will you?