1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Am I powerless if I'm in an Academy?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Quincey31, Dec 11, 2015.

1. Quincey31

Quincey31 New commenter

Please help!

I have asked for a meeting with the deputy head as my situation is getting worse.

I took a job on leadership scale and was told by email I would have a reduced timetable. However very soon after starting, people began to leave and we were asked to absorb their timetable. This has happened repeatedly until today when a new timetable has once again materialised taking me up to 6 periods a week over what was promised.

I am also being asked to drop a GCSE class I see at least once a day and have worked so hard with as they need someone to teach an abandoned y11 class. For many reasons, this class had become the only part of my job I actually enjoyed. Instead, I am now going to have 4 shared classes and 2 GCSE groups. It was to avoid a split GCSE class that I didn't request to be part time upon my return from maternity leave. I would probably like to ask for this now but know already that my chances of it being accepted are slim as they will probably cite the management role as something which can't be reduced!

The school does not use supply staff so we also do all cover internally.

The promised management side of the role has not materialised either and I am line managed by someone with less experience than me!

Is there anything I can do? Is it worth contacting my Union?

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

It's always worth contacting your union. I have no experience of academies however so can offer no other advice.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I'm really sorry that things have not just not turned out as you expected, but have actually turned out pretty unfairly. You must be very upset by all this.

It may well be worth contacting your union.

However, first look at a few things.

1) Your offer letter. What does it say about your role?

2) Your contract. What does it say about your role? And is there anything in it that says more or less that you have to Carry out all other duties as may be reasonably required of you?

3) Your job description, if you have one. What does it say about your management duties? And your remission? And is there anything in it that says more or less that you have to Carry out all other duties as may be reasonably required of you?

These documents will give you a better idea of what can be expected of you by the Academy.

Best wishes

midnight_angel likes this.
  4. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Start looking for another job.

badger_girl likes this.
  5. grumpydogwoman

Teachers aren't really used to doing this BUT we ought to start by getting things in black and white so that, when the promised aspect of the role doesn't materialise, you can dig your heels in with some authority.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  6. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

What a horrid situation. This is yet another exsmple of why you need to be in a union. If you are not, then join. If there is no school rep then become the rep. Tell the clerk to the Governors that you want to be informed. Involve paid officers. It is everyone for themselves now with Academies making it up as they go along.

Mrsmumbles and grumpydogwoman like this.
  7. frustum

frustum Star commenter

When you have your meeting with the deputy head, it may be worth mentioning that if things continue this way, you will be looking at the job ads. They're obviously struggling to keep staff at the moment, and probably the last thing they want is for you to leave as well. Maybe it would make them look again at what they are expecting of you.

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

9. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

If you are paid SLT scale without having to actually do SLT work...........I would stay!!

needabreak likes this.
  10. grumpydogwoman

Being managed by someone one considers an inferior ALWAYS rankles, I find.

ilovesooty likes this.