1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Am I paranoid?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by jockey12, Apr 8, 2012.

1. I recently joined a school where the HoD made it very apparent I was not his choice and has done ever since. This person has constantly belittled me to the point where I have decided I'm incompetent and offered to resign after one term. This person constantly tells SLT and others I'm useless and must go. However, I have never had a lesson ob or anything from this person although my official obs have been positive. I came in to help out but the department has not provided much support whilst i teach all the schools exam classes, few resources and no checking of what I'm doing with them even though I've not taught the subject much, and certainly not this syllabus or exam board. I'm now being told if the results aren't good I'm in trouble having only arrived in January in my first post with little preparation etc - I have all exam classes at key stage 4 and 5. Furthermore, whilst not wishing to sound paranoid, the HoD has even shared jokes at my expense with students in the corridor who I teach in my presence and comments have been made by students which undermine me but I'm not sure where they get that info from unless they've read my personal file!
    The question is, is this just normal for NQT's and should I stop worrying about it or be concerned? I'm concious it's my NQT year but feel like a complete failure as a teacher and my confidence is shot - some lessons are not that good as i'm not as comfortable with the subject and teaching it all for the first time unaided whilst coming to terms with the rigours of teaching my first term. I'm now being told that I'm not up to it and should think about my career choice after one term - should I? My report and obs have been very positive.

2. I recently joined a school where the HoD made it very apparent I was not his choice and has done ever since. This person has constantly belittled me to the point where I have decided I'm incompetent and offered to resign after one term. This person constantly tells SLT and others I'm useless and must go. However, I have never had a lesson ob or anything from this person although my official obs have been positive. I came in to help out but the department has not provided much support whilst i teach all the schools exam classes, few resources and no checking of what I'm doing with them even though I've not taught the subject much, and certainly not this syllabus or exam board. I'm now being told if the results aren't good I'm in trouble having only arrived in January in my first post with little preparation etc - I have all exam classes at key stage 4 and 5. Furthermore, whilst not wishing to sound paranoid, the HoD has even shared jokes at my expense with students in the corridor who I teach in my presence and comments have been made by students which undermine me but I'm not sure where they get that info from unless they've read my personal file!
    The question is, is this just normal for NQT's and should I stop worrying about it or be concerned? I'm concious it's my NQT year but feel like a complete failure as a teacher and my confidence is shot - some lessons are not that good as i'm not as comfortable with the subject and teaching it all for the first time unaided whilst coming to terms with the rigours of teaching my first term. I'm now being told that I'm not up to it and should think about my career choice after one term - should I? My report and obs have been very positive.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Speak soon to your mentor and let them know what is happening. no, this is not normal, nor is it acceptable. If your report and observations are fine, then you are clearly up to it and do not need to rethink your career at all.

Your mentor and HOF, if you have one, need to know what is going on and support you. You also ought to let your union know in case you want to take more formal action later. No-one can put a stop to this unless you tell them it is happening. You may well find out that this person has a history of doing this or that people know exactly what they are like and no-one is actually listening to the bad stuff.

Exams results are the culmination of several years of schooling, not a few months. If the results are not good enough then it certainly is not all down to you at all. The school had years to prepare pupils for their exams. The school appointed you to teach them. The school has the job of monitoring and supporting NQTs. If your exam classes do not achieve what they ought, then the school has failed in all three aspects, you haven't done anything wrong.

Do not resign, there is no need for you to damage your career because one person is horrible. Find friends elsewhere in the dept and outside of it. Talk with them and with those people who clearly think you ARE doing a good job, stay out of the way of this ***.

I would keep my eye out for a post in a nicer school though...