1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Am I old fashioned in my views?!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by ms83, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Teacher at my Secondary school has a social networking account that she uses. On it she posts pictures of herself on nights out - dressed up as a sexy maid (AnnSummers style) or posing in skimpy outfits showing lots of cleavage/leg etc. Not only are these pictures available to all memebers of the public but she is also accepting friend requests from pupils.
    I think there needs to be a line drawn as to the kind of friendships you have with pupils. I also have a social networking account but I'm very careful about the pics. I put up and the privacy on there. I also would never accept a friend request from a child or parent of a child. I don't really want my work life interfering with my personal life, and just don't think it's appropriate. Does that make me old fashioned in my views?

2. Teacher at my Secondary school has a social networking account that she uses. On it she posts pictures of herself on nights out - dressed up as a sexy maid (AnnSummers style) or posing in skimpy outfits showing lots of cleavage/leg etc. Not only are these pictures available to all memebers of the public but she is also accepting friend requests from pupils.
    I think there needs to be a line drawn as to the kind of friendships you have with pupils. I also have a social networking account but I'm very careful about the pics. I put up and the privacy on there. I also would never accept a friend request from a child or parent of a child. I don't really want my work life interfering with my personal life, and just don't think it's appropriate. Does that make me old fashioned in my views?

3. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Imo it's not an issue of modern v. old fashioned, it's an issue of privacy and employing a sensible level of caution.

4. Agree with kibosh.
    These type of people think they are funky and whacky until a situation arises, and their need to publicise their antics, turns round and bites them on the a rse. Hopefully they will learn from their mistakes.

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I don't think you're old-fashioned, but then so am I.
    As regards the 'professionalism' of having a social-networking account with material like that, people need to be aware some Heads may not approve of students being able to see memebers of staff 'off-duty' & it might colour future job opportunities.
    One of the great points about this site is our anonymity!

6. Nothing to do with old fashioned. Having an open profile and "friending" pupils is against my union's recommendation and leaves any teacher stupid enough to do so open to all sorts of accusations.

7. At our place the policy is not to accept any requests from students on facebook. We are also advised to make our pages private.

8. inky

inky Lead commenter

From what you say, she's behaving foolishly. Some friendly advice before it possibly blows up in her face? The last thing I'd do is tell SMT. That would be grassing on a grand scale if she's just young and silly.

9. inky

inky Lead commenter

On the other hand, these friendship things from pupils is behaviour so stupid as to be something worth looking into, if only because she [and the school] might well be compromised by them. How old is she?

10. inky

inky Lead commenter

I don't necessarily agree with what I wrote there. Is she young and naive or something worse?

11. Not necessarily old-fashioned - just common sense!
    I think anyone, teacher or not, should be careful about their privacy settings and what they post on such a networking site. Employers do check - also in the private sector!
    Particurlarly if you are working with children, one should be circumspect about privacy settings and, IMO, not inviting or accepting pupils/students as friends.

12. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

I agree with celtic.
    I worked with a colleague who kept his profile private, however his girlfriend didn't and couldn't stop blabbing. A woman in the office who is a keen facebook fan kept track of her posts and discovered that his account of the reasons he needed days off differred from her accounts of what they'd been up to on these days and how he really felt about the people he worked with.
    To be honest, he wasn't up to the job and the grounds for his dismissal during his probationary contract didn't need any additional help, but what she'd posted prevented any discussion he might have been able to enter into over any reconsiderations.
    Be professional and make sure as far as possible everyone around you is also acting professionally.

13. For as much as we "battle" we seem to have a tendancy nonetheless to often agree with one another.
    You must come up North one time when I am home and I will buy you a pint [​IMG]

14. I don't think you are being old fashioned but nothing wrong with being careful. I have known teachers at the school where I am do similar things posting pictures of nights out with friends being more than a little inebriated and then accepting student requests as friends, so said students can see all of this.
    Can we say creating a powder keg?
    There should be a line drawn to say whatever else I am still your teacher and not your BFF... I really have no interest talking to students out of school hours and past students can always come back to school to visit if they want. It can be awkward enough running into students in the supermarket after school let alone in the pub or anywhere else...

15. What does this mean?
    Best...?...friend?

16. Best Friend Forever...or something like that...

17. Best Friend Forever [​IMG]

18. yeeeeeeeeeeeuck.

19. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Damn fool. It'll all end in tears and someone should tell her so before she ends up in the Daily Mail.

20. My school policy is quite clear NO member of staff is to accept any pupil as a friend on facebook until at lest 2 years after they have left the school. OK it's sweeping, but it's also very clear.