1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Am I missing something obvious?! APP advice.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lucylollipop, Oct 29, 2011.

1. lucylollipop

lucylollipop New commenter

Depending on how <strike>picky</strike> thorough your SMT is, they might want to see evidence of children's work in there

2. They're usually quite 'thorough' (hehe) so I will be busy photocopying books with highlighters aplenty at 8am on Monday!!
    Thank you Lucy!
    .......Anything else anyone?

3. We have to do APP for every child for Reading, Writing and Maths :-(
    In my APP box, I have all their APP sheets, highlighted as necessary, with their target sheets at the front. They also have their targets for Maths and Writing stuck into their books. I then have an electronic copy of the assessment grids, which we update termly. That seems to be doing the trick, and I don't want to be doing any more!
    If you haven't done so already, you might want to highlight the parts of the APP the children are secure on and set them targets for when school starts again. Oh, and don't forget to keep copies of evidence of them meeting their targets. Other than that, it sounds like you're set up.

4. Oh my goodness, poor you!
    Thank you for your advice, it certainly sounds like you have got it sussed and organised! Evidence is going to be the key I think...
    Thank you again!

5. "Setting up" is just putting the APP guideline grids in a folder.
    However, they may want to see your baseline assessments from the first half term highlighted and evidenced on there, so thats what I would be doing.
    I have set mine up like this, and highlight and write "O" if its been observed with the data, and "w" if its evidenced in their work.
    I'll be completely honest - sometimes I highlight things I know they can do and write "O" and a random date because I know they can do it and just dont necessarily record every flippin' time a child proves they can do something! Waste of bluddy time.

6. Whilst it is difficult to keep up with, it does help because it gives a very clear picture of each child's ability, so I think it is worth it. I just wish SMT would realise that if we're doing this, something else will have to take a back seat for a while.
    People make a big deal out of having evidence, and they are right to, but I always think of it as if a child has been taught something and is using it on their own without having to be taught it again or encouraged to use it, they are secure and the evidence is in their books. I know I said to make copies of the evidence, but I can't be doing with having to photocopy pieces of evidence and put it in a file, so I don't! If anyone wants to search for evidence, they can look for it in their files. You'll find something that works for you.

7. Something I do is simply highlight on the grid a colour for that particular year and put a date next to it (supposedly where you'll find evidence for that statement thingy). I find the whole idea of photocopying every bit of evidence a waste of time when the evidence has either been observed or is already in their folders. I only have to do maths and english so I've got off quite lightly compared to others really :) (plus I only have 4 in my class so that definitely helps!)