1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Am I making the right decision?

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by beckylee58, Jun 18, 2011.

1. I am on a pgce course at the moment and I am hating it! I took time off last year after my first placement as I fell pregnant and was really unwell. I now have post natal depression and returned back to school. After having a year out I have found it really difficult to get used to it again. The actual work load i.e. planning lessons, sow etc; I can cope with but I doubt myself on everything,I have lost total confidence in the classroom. I guess its just part of the illness. I have spoke to the uni about it who were supportive and the school is ok but I really feel like chucking it in and applying from scratch as I feel like I need to start afresh. I need to stagger myself back in again but at the moment I am teaching a 50% timetable full time and have no choice but to do this. I need to get the confidence back in my abilities again. I am literally hating going in everyday and they all know I have depression which doesnt make things any better. I feel that reapplying and starting from the beginning would help. Anyone with any advice? Thanks

2. I am on a pgce course at the moment and I am hating it! I took time off last year after my first placement as I fell pregnant and was really unwell. I now have post natal depression and returned back to school. After having a year out I have found it really difficult to get used to it again. The actual work load i.e. planning lessons, sow etc; I can cope with but I doubt myself on everything,I have lost total confidence in the classroom. I guess its just part of the illness. I have spoke to the uni about it who were supportive and the school is ok but I really feel like chucking it in and applying from scratch as I feel like I need to start afresh. I need to stagger myself back in again but at the moment I am teaching a 50% timetable full time and have no choice but to do this. I need to get the confidence back in my abilities again. I am literally hating going in everyday and they all know I have depression which doesnt make things any better. I feel that reapplying and starting from the beginning would help. Anyone with any advice? Thanks

3. Does your UNI tutor / school SPT think you will pass? If so - stick in there and get it done!! You're almost there and if they think you will pass, grit your teeth and see out these last few weeks.
    The summer holidays are almost upon us and that time out will do wonders for you and your family.
    Then see about applying for jobs. Choose your schools carefully and it sounds as if part-time teaching would suit you better than full-time - you can still do your NQT period that way. Go and visit schools - ask if you can spend a day shadowing staff - spend time in schools where there is no pressure on you - use any contacts you have.
    (If they don't think you will pass, then discuss with your tutors a course of action)
    I think you need a plan and once you have a plan you will feel better about the whole thing. Don't beat yourself up any more!!