1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Am I mad?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by oldsomeman, Mar 10, 2016.

1. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I am coming to the end of life as a teacher and probably also a builder as I find it harder to go on doing such work.
    So i have this bright idea.....turn my van into a camping van and go camping.
    My wife thinks I am flipping.and now I am doubting that it would be of use as I am not sure I will get time to travel.
    Any views?
    ps you can call me mad.I have been called worse :)

2. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Do it.

cissy3 likes this.
  3. oldsomeman

positive 1
    name calling 0
    negative 0
    thanks x

4. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

A lot of sites won't accept converted vans - reminds them too much of New Age Travellers I guess.

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I was going to be silly and call you mad.

Then I read your idea.

Go for it!!!

I've seen some lovely conversion jobs online... not got the time right now but if you get a chance google them. So good stuff out there.

cissy3 likes this.
  6. oldsomeman

i suppose thats true I never thought of that.but there seems to be a lot of stealth vans out there and lots of van folk on the road.It would have windows and beds in it I would hope. Can't have Mrs Oldy sleeping on the floor.

7. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

Perhaps ask yourself the question: if I don't do it, will I look back later and think: "If only...?"

Motherofchikkins and cissy3 like this.
  8. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

I'm mad too. I want to get one of those tiny romahomes, just sleeps me! live in it, just me ( child off to uni, husband at home watching footie!) pop back occasionally, visit all those bits of Britain and Northern Europe I've not been to before. Won't do it, I suppose, but I do fantasise.:D

delnon and cissy3 like this.
  9. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Being able to travel, at least part of the year (caravans are not warm places ;)) might certainly be a solution for you to travel.
    However I think you might need something a bit bigger than a converted van for your wife to not feel she is losing too many home comforts. What are the prospects of you being able to rent out your own property for say Apr- Sept? The rental income could provide you with the cash for vehicle and travel?

Motherofchikkins and cissy3 like this.
  10. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Do it olds, but do it in France which is infinitely more camper van friendly than the UK. Forget campsites, there's literally thousands of low cost or free overnight camper van parking spots ('Aires Camping-Car') everywhere you can imagine. We use them all the time. Make sure you fit it out with its own bog though, and a solar panel is really handy too. Maybe consider buying one - sounds like you're looking for a Panel Van Conversion, although they can actually be more costly than the big white boxy things that Mrs olds might feel more at home in.

Seven years with a VW Kombi then ten years (and counting) with a motorhome tell me it's the way to go. One of the best decisions we ever made.

cissy3 likes this.
  11. oldsomeman

No chance of renting dear////she wouldn't have that. I am still fighting to get her to move and sell this house so we can travel and enjoy life......but she is firmly attached like a limpit lol
    So i have possibly sought this way and she says we can go to 3 day craft events in the van :(

12. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Was just going to say''You need to ask @magicsurfbus''

But going on past postings of yours Olds, I think you will feel there's a conflict with your wife to be discussed.

Edit: too late :)

13. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

"Aller Anfang ist schwer." The hardest bit is starting.

14. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Do it
    Life's too short to not experiment

15. oldsomeman

yea it was originally to convert my works van a med short wheel base van.....but looking on youtube it might not be long enough to get in a bog/shower space...and one definitely would be needed for use both.
    I am not sure the wife will rough it ut the cost of a VW or a motor home is out of reach and she wont be able to climb in and out of an over the cab bed.loo visits call at night lol
    me i don't worry.I have slept on the bare wooden floor in the past .but i am getting older :)

16. senlady

senlady Senior commenter

do it.

Never wonder what if!

17. oldsomeman

Strangely not totally a conflict if i can get it right..she might try a few times and hasn't said positively no....but like many who are not drawn to adventurous life she is cautious.......I do not blame her.I do get mad ideas...then again most are left in a trail of dashed hopes.usually lack of cash and time.
    edit sorry that was meant of cissy

cissy3 likes this.
  18. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Overcab beds aren't the only option, although we choose to have one at present. If you're OK doing your own conversion then fine - just make sure you vent the gas appliances properly. If you're buying one (say) second hand you'll find a bigger vehicle may well cost less. They hold their value well compared to cars too. When I had to take our long wheel base Ducato camper back to its factory for repair I was flabbergasted at the cost of their smaller panel van models.

Anyway, whatever the solution I can recommend the lifestyle.

19. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Have you ever watched ''George Clarke's Amazing Spaces''?

One couple turned a hearse into a campervan!

Might be worth a google for some ideas?

20. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

What sort of van are we talking about Olds