1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Am I likely to get an interview?

Discussion in 'Independent' started by Frightenedtodeath, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Frightenedtodeath

Frightenedtodeath New commenter

Currently a DH in a tough state school and I can demonstrate impact in the areas I have led. There are two AHT posts in an Indy school being advertised and I, along with my partner in crime (fellow DH), would like to apply.

Three concerns:

1) I have a second class degree (suffered a close bereavement weeks before finals)
    2) I'm hoping to have fertility treatment this year.
    3) Are they going to want anything to do with a DH from a school way down in the tables?

What are my chances here? I'm wincing writing this down.

2. Frightenedtodeath

I'm thinking I haven't got a cat in hell's chance. Think I might spare myself the humiliation!

3. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

1. Practically irrelevant. They are looking for AHT/DH-type skills, experience and track record
    2. Irrelevant.
    3. Depends entirely on what you have been doing. If you have been successful in school improvement then that's what you need to be selling. What special skills, experience and insight can you bring? Match the job description and person specification to what you have. If there's a good fit, go for it.

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Indies, like all other schools, just want fab teachers who are great at their job.
    Your degree is largely irrelevant, unless it is a super snobby school which would be horrid anyway. The school you currently teach in is irrelevant, again unless they are super snobby school, most couldn't give a monkey's.
    They aren't going to be able to deduce you are hoping for fertility treatment in the next year or so, and I cannot imagine how you would bring it up in application or interview. So it cannot possibly be relevant.

Indie schools, like all others, do not have a zillion applicants for leadership posts. If you have a proven track record you are in with a good chance.
    Apply, you may or may not get the post, but it definitely won't be humiliating.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Some excellent points made above.

It boils down to this:

1. Can you do the job that they want done? Both academically and in wider contribution to the school.
    2. If not, don't apply.
    3. If you can, make that very clear in your application.

For help with writing your application, come to Jobseekers Forum (scroll down the forums to find us) and start a thread there to be given the links to the Professional ADvice Hub application articles.

Best wishes

Kartoshka likes this.
  6. hhoffmann

hhoffmann New commenter

As a leader in the independent sector my advice to you would be to keep your application fairly brief. We cannot bear reams and reams of application blurb and acronyms for every latest educational invention! You will get an interview if you've sound experience and you're genuinely interested in working just as hard for your money in the independent sector!

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Couldn't agree more!

Best wishes

8. Frightenedtodeath

Thank you for your advice - all noted.

@TheoGriff, would it be awful and crass of me to request to see the employment terms and conditions prior to making an application? I'd like to know more about the maternity arrangements etc. before I decide whether to apply. I'd put a lot of time and effort in to an application (also mental headspace, as I have to be committed to the idea of getting the post). Also, is it at all fair to attempt to take up a post and then say 'Oh, by the way, I'm having IVF.'?

Dilemma!

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

The ivf issue is irrelevant, don't worry about it.

The asking about employment T&C is possibly best done from an email account that doesn't have your actual name in it and is not the email account from which you will be sending any application.

;)

Best wishes