1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Am I just being Lazy?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Happyregardless, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Happyregardless

Happyregardless Occasional commenter

Received a call this morning about a long term ( from now til end of Summer) at a school about 30-50 miles from me ( depending on which route you go) it looks a lovely school ( outstanding Ofsted etc - not that, that really means anything) but is way past where I would normally commute to and having commuted to other neabry places know how the roads can sometimes be, With a long term, you want to be able to put up displays, you'd have assessment data - bascially a whole lot of extra on top for not very much more pay, all the the name of 'security'. It's very different doing a long haul for a one off but I can't imagine doing this commute day in and day out until the end of the Summer?

I know previous TESSERS have posted how long term isn't worth it on supply as you just do more for the same rate etc and might as well go back permanently etc.

I'm posed to just reply, " It's too far for a long term" but am I just being lazy?

pepper5 likes this.
  2. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

No you’re not being lazy - that’s a phenomenal distance to travel, coupled with the pressures of a long term gig. But how much do you need the money? We could argue that we’re coming out of winter so the drive might be ok, but every day? I wouldn’t touch it (but then I really am lazy...)
    My maximum commute is 15 miles or 40 minutes - as you rightly observe, traffic conditions can vary.
    If you want to give it a go, maybe try to negotiate a higher daily rate to compensate for the travel?
    Let us know what you decide.

3. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

I did a 45 mile commute on supply for half a term. It wasn’t stated as a long term one, more week by week, but after that I’d had enough. As it wasn’t long term I didn’t have any planning or marking to do but it did get a bit much (not brilliant roads meant it took about an hour and a half each way).

So you’re not being lazy; if anything you are looking after your own physical and mental health. I hope that your agency understands.

4. steviepal

steviepal Occasional commenter

Nah. I turned down a long term commuting from Sheffield to the other side of Worksop. The agency complained a bit and tried to tell me it wasn't that far. But too far for me. 50 miles each way. No way Jose.

5. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

I think you'd be out of your mind to accept...you're not being lazy.

I'm doing a short term / long term. I wish I hadn't agreed. Pupils being entered in a few weeks for exams they have little chance of passing..

6. Bentley89

Bentley89 Occasional commenter

No. As you were... :cool:

7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

If it's a nice school and a lengthy contract then I might be tempted to go for it.

I commuted 42 miles to a fabulous school (to be honest - the best I've ever worked in) for THREE YEARS. In the end I couldn't do it any more but most days it was worth it.

8. abwdSTEM

abwdSTEM Occasional commenter

That is a very long commute to do every day, I have done such commutes in the past and unless its a really nice school its just not worth it (and sometimes even if it is a really nice school).

Travelling time will be at least an hour each way adding two hours to your working day, And it could be considerably more.

Fuel costs will be high too (unless you ride a moped but then your travelling time would be about four days :D) which will eat significantly into your weekly take home pay. With one long distance placement I had almost a day's take home went on travelling costs.

And add to that there will be considerable wear on your personnel transport which usually means a considerable garage bill, Bear in mind there are still a few winter/early spring months to deal with which can be unpleasant commuting conditions.

I have done several such commutes and they can be very difficult and expensive.

install and pepper5 like this.
  9. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

No. You are not being lazy.

install and Happyregardless like this.
  10. install

install Star commenter

That's a lot of tavel time and travel money. I wouldn't do it. Wasting money in the long term..

pepper5 and Happyregardless like this.
  11. Happyregardless

Thanks guys ( not that I need any outside validation, its sometimes good to have a sounding board lol) and there are plenty of TESSERS and supply bods on here who have have good common sense approach and plenty of experience with the ups and downs of supply and I value different opinions. I think I made the right decision I turned it down because although the school looks fab, I do value a balance and have a busy life outside of school with church, allotment, friends, dogs, and everything. Especially with a long term, extra time is taken up with meetings, displays, assessment etc and think the commute would swallow up a lot of that.

Was digging, wet, claggy soil and weeding down the allotment today and kind of chuckled to myself and thought "I've already answered my own question" after two wheelbarrows of weeds were trundled to the compost, I thought nope not lazy, just maybe a bit crazy :D

pepper5 and BertieBassett2 like this.
  12. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Similar story-I had to allow 2 hours to get there in the morning-it seldom took that long, but occasionally did. I didn't have to get back for family then though-if you do, you'll have to factor in childcare costs too. On the plus side, if you enjoy the job, it makes the day seem much shorter, and you are unlikely to risk seeing the students when you're out at the pub...I'd ask for a bit more money or some other benefit to make up for the travelling-I was given one afternoon off when I said I was doubtful due to the distance, but I was able to be quite demanding as they wanted me to teach A-level and GCSE, and it was in the days when schools wanted the best teacher, not the cheapest human they could chuck in front of the class!

pepper5 likes this.
  13. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

You might well be on the road for at least three hours each days; fifteen hours each week. In the end, it will grind you down.

14. historygrump

historygrump Lead commenter Forum guide

i must admit, driving a long way everyday can be a pain and tiring, I have been doing day to work, some 30 miles away and it means setting off between 6.30 to 6.45 everyday and driving for an hour to an hour and half, and I am totally Knack*red by the time, I get home.

So I can understand your concerns, can you do week by week to see how you get on or is there trains to near the school from your home, so you don't have to drive? I must admit I hate driving long journeys to teach.

Happyregardless likes this.
  15. minacharm

minacharm New commenter

My commute is 45 miles each way and is 2+ hours a day on a good day. I'm not even teaching but it's knackering and I'm desperate to work somewhere closer. It's more knackering at the start too, and as soon as you get used to it, the job will be over!

Happyregardless likes this.
  16. Happyregardless

Hope you find somewhere with a more suitable commute Mina