1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Am I just being chicken??

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by Dink_bird, Dec 3, 2011.

1. I've spent 2 and a bit years as a head of department, but I've resigned my post and will be leaving at the end of this term. It's long-winded to explain, but because of things that happened at this school, I no longer feel confident to take up another management post. I feel I just want to be an ordinary teacher again and rediscover the enjoyment in delivering my subject. However, there are hardly any jobs available, and interestingly, the few that do are almost all HOD roles! I used to be really keen to take up HOD responsibilities,but because I was given a struggling department with some big issues, and hardly any support or encouragement by SMT, this year was a big nightmare. I know it could be better in a different school, but I'm so reluctant to go through all that again (I've been reading too many similar stories to mine on here!!). I don't need the TLR money as I'm now living with my partner so finances aren't under so much pressure, but there just aren't any teaching posts available and time is running out - I don't want to be unemployed next term..should I stop being chicken and apply for HOD jobs?

2. Thanks Arthur. That all makes perfect sense to me. The thing that's bothering me most is the thought of being unemployed..even though I should be able to survive a couple of months, I've never been out of work and I know I'm going to feel angry and frustrated sitting at home..and I'll have to be careful I don't take it out on my partner (especially as he'll be paying my mortgage for me until I can find a tennant to rent my house-yes he's a superstar and deserves some kind of medal!).

3. millicent_bystander

millicent_bystander New commenter

This is striking a real chord with me dink_bird, but financially I have to apply for HoD roles, even though I'm feeling completely de-skilled because of my experiences.
    I'm constantly reminding myself of all the positives of my career and listening long and hard to the people who are telling me that there is no reason not to apply for HoD roles; to do anything else would be unthinkable. But a lack of confidence is not helping.
    If you can afford to live on one salary for a while, it might be worth taking stock and really looking long and hard at the HoD positions on offer; also re-evaluating what you do have to offer without the every day pressures that the job brings. I'm in the opposite position, there is a lack of HoD positions to apply for!
    I'm sure you have a lot to offer, but need to take your time before rushing into anything else - of course you can't guarantee what any work place will be like until you are actually immersed in it, but your experiences will provide you with a wealth of the 'right questions' to ask, both in interview situations and those 'informal' lunches with your prospective department.
    If you do end up unemployed for a while until the right thing comes along, if I were in that position, the sad teacher in me would spend the time building up resources, medium term plans and getting all those fantasic ideas sorted with the luxury of time that the job doesn't offer.
    Good luck, whatever you decide to do, I hope it goes well for you.