1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Am I in trouble?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by dkarana, Oct 17, 2011.

1. dkarana

dkarana New commenter

Hi everyone,
    I am an NQT with ups and downs as everyone.But this last incident has shaken my confidence to bits.
    I teach Physics to two year12 groups,out of which one hated me from the day one.I tried to carry on somehow.They went and complained to Phy head saying that they do not understand me(I am an Asian) My HoP is an excellent person and have been with them since ages.He observed one of my lessons and was very pleased.I was advised that if they do not behave ask them to leave.
    One of the boys probably hated me the most.Next lesson while I was to begin the lesson some of the students started chatting.i asked the whole class that if they do not want to be here they can leave.This boy got up and left.He made his parent complain against me.Had another observation from my HoD,she got back saying she could see one of the pupils was trying to wind me up otherwise it was fine.I told her that the student will have to come and opologise to me otherwise he can stay out.
    Am I in trouble of any sort?My HoD had observed another lesson of mine and was very pleased,what am I doing wrong?
    Please help asap.Have the lesson with the same year group tomorrow.
    Thanks

2. I'm only an NQT same as you, but it sounds like you have absolutely nothing to worry about. You have been observed and all was good, this child has been observed by others being a pain, you are following advice given to you by a senior member of staff.....
    I can't think of any reason for you to be in trouble. As unpleasant as complaints are, they are likely to happen to all of us for any number of reasons - real or imagined!

3. dkarana

dkarana New commenter

Thanks franob.
    But the fact that there is another NQT who doesnt seem to have any problem frustrates and pulls your confidence down.
    Thank you so much

4. rainbow_gold

rainbow_gold New commenter

It's human nature that some of the students will not like you, and others will love you. It'd not very fair but it's just the way kids are so don't let it get you down that these students are for no reason giving you a hard time.

I don't think you need to worry, you have been observed to be teaching well and that is the important thing! Sixth form is voluntary, and this student needs to grasp that if he is not pulling his weight, or is impeding the learning of others, then he will have to leave!

Have you contacted the parents yourself? It may be worth a friendly chat to discuss the issues and what they can do to support their son in getting him back into his AS class, but making it clear that he left of his own accord. Its likely he gave them some warped version in trying to get some sympathy! xxxxx

5. dkarana

dkarana New commenter

Thank you so much rainbow gold.Feeling much better.Will let you know about today's lesson :)

6. I cannot see how you would be 'in trouble'. Pupils, for whatever reaosn have likes and dislikes and some have chosen to 'dislike' you and your lessons. The observations are very positive so its not your teaching or subject knowledge. Sometimes pupils need to know that their 'choice' is limited - that is who teaches them - your HOP decides and that's that.I suspect that perhaps the student wnat to be with others or had afavourite teacher who left or who is not teaching them now and they are miffed.
    The student has to get over it.
    James

7. I think kids forget at the end of the day that they are children and we are adults and that there is just a basic level of respect which involves them listening when you talk - even more so in sixth form. If they don't like it then it's tough luck - either get over it like James said or leave!

I know I'm repeating what everyone else has said but you've got concrete evidence from various people that it isn't your teaching so take comfort in that. Keep a record of all the incidents that happen so if any parents come in all guns blazing you've got your formal obs and concrete evidence of their child being vile!

8. dkarana

dkarana New commenter

Thank you James and Chuck21189,
    My mentor observed my lesson and was very happy.His comment was- well done ! He was very happy with the explanations and my knowledge,did not find it difficult to understand.He said we will have to think of a strategy to deal with some of the students.I have them tomorrow as well.Hoping for the best :)
    Thank you all for your support and guidance esp when I was feeling so low.

9. Invite this problem child's parents to come and sit in one of your lessons!!! I've never done this but I've been told it works a treat!