1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Am I in the wrong?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by lala1373, Jun 14, 2011.

1. hi all,
    I have recently had an operation I gave my head alot of notice and informed them that I would be off for 4 weeks after my operation. I received a phone call for my head on a sunday 2 weeks after my operation. they complained that I had not contacted them to inform them that i would be off for 2 more weeks.
    I thought that by informing them before my operation that I was ok.
    Am I right?

2. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Hi,
    Did you record this notification to your HT? Get a Dr's note to them asap backdated from when you were first off and informing HT of how long your Dr. has signed you off to recuperate.
    I'm assuming you've not been at the school for a very long time? Some schools are flexible re. abscence etc... while others are (understandably) more formal - you can usually sus out what's required the longer you've been there. If school says you are in the wrong, apologise sweetly and ask for further advice - if you are not fit - you are not fit, so don't be pressured into returning until you are 100% well.
    Hope the op was a success by the way!
    Joni x

3. Hi Joni,
    Thanks the op went well.
    I told my HT and DH but did not put it in writing, I have been there nearly 3 years and have never had any problems before. I guess i just though that telling that before the op was enough, guess not but due back on Monday. Just a bit unhappy about how I was spoken to and the letter I received this morning.

4. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Hi Lala
    Glad you are ok. Just put this down to experience I suppose. It's not your fault your HT and DH are not the reasonable folk you thought - they should have asked for written notification if it was that important and they are probably embarrassed that they forgot, or supposed that you knew already. So often in schools we learn by other peoples' omissions, which is sad. Enjoy the last few days of your recuperating!
    Joni x
    [​IMG]

5. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

Sounds like they are being awkward to me. If you told them you needed four weeks off then you were very clear. If they needed written confirmation (e.g. from a doctor) then they should have asked at the time. Either way, if you verbally informed them, they could easily arrange four weeks of supply to cover you.
    Get your doctor to write a letter/sick note, back-dated to the time of your op.
    I had minor surgery in January and told the school I'd need the day of the operation, and at least the following day off. I said that I'd call on the following day to let them know id I'd ben in the day after that. They were fine with this.

6. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

Didn't you send it your 'fit' note or any medical letters to say you'd be off for that length of time? I wouldn't imagine any school would be happy with just being informed that you'd be off for 4 weeks verbally. They would need to have evidence to claim on their insurance. If I've misunderstood and they are being difficult after receiving your fit note, then have a chat to your union. I'm surprised though that they didn't ask for it sooner.